February 27, 2007

Chasing Justice


Kerry & friend
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
My friend Kerry Max Cook's book, Chasing Justice: My Story of Freeing Myself After Two Decades on Death Row for a Crime I Didn't Commit, hit the stores today. I'm listening to him on NPR's Diane Rehm Show right now. He's doing a great job, but then, his story is compelling, almost unbearably so. He's my friend; we hang out and take our kids to movies together, and yet when I look at him and watch him move through the world, I still can't grasp that he survived this experience and came through the other side.

Here's how HarperCollins describes his story:

Wrongfully convicted of killing a young woman in Texas, Cook was sentenced to death in 1978 and served two decades on death row, in a prison system so notoriously brutal and violent that in 1980 a federal court ruled that serving time in Texas's jails was "cruel and unusual punishment." As scores of men around him were executed, Cook relentlessly battled a legal system that wanted him dead; meanwhile he fought daily to survive amid unspeakable conditions and routine assaults. When an advocate and a crusading lawyer joined his struggle in the 1990s, a series of retrials was forced. At last, in November 1996, Texas's highest appeals court threw out Cook's conviction, citing overwhelming evidence of police and prosecutorial misconduct.

And finally in the spring of 1999 long-overlooked DNA evidence was tested and it linked another man to the rape and murder for which Cook had been convicted. Today, Cook is a free man and the proud father of a young son.


Kerry Max Cook was convicted on the basis of some very dubious testimony by one witness (who described a person with an entirely different appearance) and a fellow prisoner who claimed that Kerry confessed the crime to him, despite the fact that Kerry was held in solitary confinement at the time. The evidence against Kerry consisted of a fingerprint on the victim's patio door. An "expert" for the prosecution testified that the fingerprint had been left during the time frame of the murder. Such a time-sensitive determination on a fingerprint is scientifically impossible; they might as well have consulted a psychic.

The Kerry Max Cook that I know seems so far away from that life. He's a warm father and playful husband with a quick sense of humor a wildly optimistic nature. He talks openly about his terrible story, but his eye is on the future.

In a few days, I'll be flying to Los Angeles to join Kerry for a big celebrity book party being thrown for him. I'll be there as his photographer, and as his friend. I hope his book does well, but more than that, I hope Kerry gets the life he deserves.

God knows, if anyone has paid in advance for happiness, it's Kerry Max Cook.

16 comments:

Jill said...

I was just going to email you Rob, to let you know he was on Diane Rehm. Guess you already know. :-)

Matilda said...

I'm looking forward to picking up this book, and I thank you for making me aware of it.

Coincidentally, NPR has a related story on its website today. There's an excerpt from Calvin Johnson's Exit to Freedom that is really powerful all the way through, but this gets me most: "I cannot reason my way out, because my anger is so reasonably constructed."

Good luck to you and to KMC in LA.

Amy Lynn said...

Unbelievable... I'll try to pick up his book this week!

Jen B said...

Incredible story...I have a friend who did a huge story years back about the Texas prison system....I have to get this book for him.

Anonymous said...

Someone once asked in my presence how anyone could possibly be opposed to the death penalty, and I unfortunately found my feelings on the subject difficult to articulate. If it ever comes up again, I'm going to tell them that people like this man are why.

asskeeper said...

Rob,
I was just checking our library's online catalog and found out they are getting the book. I will request it as soon as it goes online.
Wendy
p.s. I am cheap don't pay for a book unless I can't get it at the library

Pegkitty said...

Just to get a little practice for when "Schuyler's Monster" is available, I just ordered Kerry's book from the on-line monolith (amazon) - looking forward to a litle light reading here! :)

Shannon said...

Like another poster, I too am requesting it at my library. Tell him hello!!!

Anonymous said...

I heard him on Diane Rehm (after first learning about him here). I am so thankful he finally got out and now has a family, but it makes me physically ill to think of what he went through. He is a good man to devote his life to this cause. It must be difficult to tell his story again and again, but he is so candid and eloquent that even the most ardent pro-death penalty supporter could not deny how fucked up this system is. Amazing man.

Anonymous said...

A sad story, but one that sounds interesting enough for me to read this book and might make me rethink my opinion of the death penalty.

Thanks.

crazy dog lady said...

This looks like a great book and I thank you for bringing it to your readers' attention. I am adding it to my shopping list.
I admire this man for hanging in there. Twenty years is a long time to pay for another man's crime.

Off the subject, but are his dogs rat terriers? I ask because I have them and I always notice things like that...(dorky, I know)

anne said...

I still think it's just amazing that you met this man at a McDonald's!

His story is unbelieveable. As others here have said, this certainly gives pause for thought about the death penalty. I've been on the fence on the subject for much of my life; recently, though, I've become vehemently against it. My heart goes out to Mr. Cook. I will certainly be reading his book.

Marit said...

Wow---what an amazing story. I love stories like this and will definitely pick up a copy.

Anonymous said...

My name is Tracy R. Childs RRT/RPSGT. I knew Kerry and his brother and both his parents. We actually got in trouble as children (around 15 years of age). Prior to me going to college and Kerry going to prison, I was the foreman of a plastic injection molding plant. I got him a job (but he only lasted two nights). He was always joking and laughing when I knew him. I just sent him an email and I hope to hear from him soon. Tracy R. Childs RRT/RPSGT

Anonymous said...

He did two things at the plant (the second of which got him fired). Kerry wasn't into the job as I recall. His job was called "Floorman". A floorman would walk from one machine to the next and run the machine for the regular operator while they either went to eat or the restroom. My job as the foreman was to keep the machines running and the people working. The first night every machine that he worked on that night broke down when the regular operator took their break. I ended up having to work on each machine while the regular operator was gone because Kerry would cause it to break down. He wasn't being evil or anything he was just a kid and he thought it was funny. I guess there were three things because that was one thing. The second thing that happened was he was operating a machine we called or numbered (number two). It was a hugh machine that could make parts as big as a hood of a car. He ran up to me and the superviser (Billy McMoyle) and told us that he had accidentally closed up the machine with the regular operator still in the machine. We (Billy and I) freaked out and ran to the machine. By that time, Kerry was laughing, it was a joke! The next night, he (Kerry) ran up to me and said, "Tracy" someone just kicked the stall door off its hinges in the mens restroom! Kerry and I went to the restroom together and sure enough, the door was across the room and off its hinges. I looked at Kerry and he began laughing. I said, "Kerry, you did this didn't you" and he couldn't help but laugh. That was the end of his career as a floorman at the injection molding facility....thats life. Tracy R. Childs RRT/RPSGT
P.S. I have lots more stories about Kerry and I

Anonymous said...

In case anyone has any questions about the Kerry Max Cook and his family that I knew can write me at steelforarms@hotmail.com. Tracy R. Childs RRT/RPSGT