August 31, 2011

Push and pull

"Have you ever found a term for our super kids that doesn't piss you off Robert? Since there are times when we need to call them what they are (Special needs, Differently-abled, handicapped, whatever)."

It was a fair enough question, although it started from a false premise. I don't believe I've ever stated that I "hated" any identifying terminology, aside from the word "retard", and I hardly think that's exactly crossing the line into oversensitivity. The above comment was made in response to a joke I'd made about the term "differently abled". Most of us who spend time in some way in the world of disability tend to engage in a little dark humor; some very pointedly do NOT. I made a joke about "differently abled", the same one I've made before about how it sounds to me like we're describing toddler superheroes ("I can fly!"), and it pushed someone's buttons.

Which is fine.

It's fine because we're not all the same, we're not even close. We call ourselves a community, but as I've pointed out before, we don't actually agree on all that much. We don't agree on terminology. We don't agree on whether special needs kids are better off in segregated special education classes or in total inclusion, or something in between. We don't agree on cochlear implants or vaccines. We don't agree on whether kids with developmental disabilities need as much help as they can get in order to try to make it independently, or if they're fine just the way they are, or if they're fine just the way they are and yet should somehow be able to live independently in this rough world. We don't even agree on who gets to claim membership in this "community".

So no, we don't agree on much, and again that's fine, because all of our worlds are profoundly far apart. Creating a real community with common goals might just be too much to expect. I can see that now.

As a neurotypical parent, there's only so much that I can expect to understand about Schuyler's internal world. That is equally true, however, of even the world's most experienced educators or the most brilliant doctors and therapists, and it's true of observers with chronic conditions and of self-advocating persons with unrelated disabilities like autism. It's particularly true of those who have never met her, but it's often true of family members, too. Schuyler's inscrutability is true of those passing-through people who meet her once or twice, whether they realize it or not, and of all but a very few close friends (and they know who they are, I hope). Perhaps other kids with bilateral perisylvian polymicrogyria might have some insights, but, if you'll excuse the phrase, most of them aren't talking. And even if they were, fancy medical types who Know Such Things have declared that Schuyler's particular manifestation of BPP is very likely unique.

So perhaps she is ultimately unknowable, but Julie and I don't accept that, and shame on us if we ever did.

It's a foggy world, and we try to enforce some kind of order on it, because one of the more disquieting aspects of disability is the chaos, the unknown. Kids like Schuyler experience the world very differently from neurotypical children. Sometimes they are unaware of this difference, but others know it. They know it, and like Schuyler, some of them push back against it and try to fit in, try to pass even as we try to convince her that she doesn't need to. Well, try to convince ANY eleven year-old girl that she doesn't need to fit in with her middle school classmates and see how far you get. But other kids who understand that they are different, some of them similar to Schuyler and others with disabilities but entirely UNlike her, they reject the impulse to fit in. Some don't even feel that impulse at all.

Parents of kids like Schuyler also live in a world of chaos. We struggle with the push and pull. We're responsible for our children and yet we're making up the rules as we go along, rules which disintegrate like cigarette ash when circumstances dictate. As I said recently, we stand astride two worlds, that of the neurotypical (which we try but fail to educate about our kids) and of the disabled (which we can try to understand ourselves but can only do so from outside, as the most interested of all interested parties). And our dirty secret is that in standing with a foot in each of those worlds, we don't actually fit into either of them very well. As time goes on, we fit less and less, not more. But through entering into authentic relationships with our broken children, we do achieve a kind of understanding, and we are enriched and enlightened by the experience, so in the end, we are richer for it. It's a tough life, but we're privileged to be a part of it. Sometimes we find a little peace.

I know, by the way, that I lost a few of you there when I said "broken". And once again, that's fine. Of all the terms I have used over the years, that's the one that has earned the most comments. But here's the thing. Those comments have always, ALWAYS, been pretty evenly split between Team "How Dare You" and Team "That's It Exactly". More importantly to me, I've heard from quite a few members of Team "'Broken' Is How I Self-Identify". So I keep using it, because it describes what I see and experience with Schuyler, in a way that holds equal measures of pragmatism and hope. If Schuyler ever asks me not to use it, I'll stop.

More and more frequently, I find that our fragmented and underpowered community trips itself up on terminology. We establish the words that work for us, we insist that others use our language, and we fly our Flag of Offense when we are denied. I guess that applies to the whole "R Word" debate in some ways, although I still feel that if you are adamantly defending your use of a word that is so widely accepted as derogatory and which makes persons with developmental disabilities into the defenseless butt of your ugly humor, you're probably not so much a Warrior for Free Speech. You might just be an asshole, and probably need to come to terms with that.

Having said that, I have a confession to make. I kind of wish I'd never written about the "R Word". I sometimes wish I'd obeyed the little voice that whispered in my ear that it wasn't a place I wanted to go. Not because I don't believe in the cause, because I do, very much. But I never wanted to get branded as someone who thought a word should be "banned", or that every time it was uttered by a dumb teenager or an entitled hipster or a sports figure tragically planted in front of a microphone, I would be expected to raise that Flag of Offense and charge into the fray. I just wanted people to understand the word they were wielding and exactly how many people were hurt when they used it, even as my own understanding of its power was limited to my own experience as a parent and someone who loves Schuyler ferociously. It's a battle worth waging, but I'm not sure I was ever the right person to take up the cause. I don't know. I'm sorry I did, but I'm glad I did, too.

Not every squabble over terminology is so clear cut as "Don't call people retards, seriously." There are many ways to approach the issue of word usage, I suppose. We could insist on the use of People First Language, for example, but despite what you may hear or read (and GOD, you will read the claim if you consult Dr. Google even a little), People First is NOT universally accepted. I've written about my own negative feelings concerning People First, and there are others who have written at length, including many persons with disabilities. People First Language is a well-intended concept, and it works for a lot of folks, but where I believe it fails is in its insistence on universality.

Truth is, there is no universal perspective on disability. We can't even agree on what to call our kids. The special Toys-R-Us catalogue that I was discussing when that earlier comment was made referred to our kids as "differently abled". And if that works for you, that's fine. (How many times have I said "that's fine" already?) I don't feel like Schuyler is differently abled, though. She doesn't have abilities that are different from anyone else's, not exactly. She uses a speech device and employs some sign language as needed, but they're not inherent abilities that have organically grown out of her disability. Those are skills she's picked up by necessity, and she's not much of a prodigy at any of them. She uses them well enough to suit her needs, and that's enough. Her abilities are purely human, and some of them are broken. She can't talk, much less fly. But she can communicate, and she works harder at it than I do. Or you, for that matter.

She's not differently abled, but she does do things very differently, and that's what ought to be celebrated. Schuyler began with no verbal communication, so she developed her own manner of expressing herself, and that manner is extremely physical. Schuyler doesn't speak like you or me, but she communicates in her own perfectly Schuyler way. She verbalizes as effectively as she can, and sometimes it's not bad at all. But she also touches, she mimes, she hugs and hangs onto her loved ones. She invades the "personal bubble" of her classmates, much to their consternation, which is an issue we're working on. It's hard, though. Schuyler tugs at you insistently when she wants to show you something. Perhaps if she had the voice, she would just tell you about it instead. But most times, I'm happier to have her pull me, show me, to express her love and her happiness with hugs and kisses and imploring looks and flappy hands and her goofy laugh. Most times, I think maybe words alone would be boring.

Is Schuyler "differently abled"? Is she "disabled"? The hated-by-all but used-by-all "special needs"? "Broken"? "Neurodiverse"? Does it make a difference what she is? Do the inadequate words we choose really matter all that much as we try to grasp the imperfections that make up our loved ones, or our very selves? Yes they do, and no they don't. And we have to find a way to be okay with that.

As for Schuyler, I might just be wrong. She CAN fly.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to have a friend who would say to me, and in fact we'd say it together, it's okay to be broken. Then I grew up a little, realized that my "friend" was on disability for reasons I really can't respect (basically because it didn't want a job and managed to convince someone it literally could not work, although it seems to manage quite a bit when it wants to), stole things because it thought it "deserved" them, and didn't actually respect anyone else because it was "disabled" and thus better... So I revised that to "it's okay to be broken, but you should still work to fix it, even if completely fixing it is impossible."

Doesn't roll off the tongue as well, but factually it works better.

Elizabeth said...

I like all your posts, this one included. I just like the way your brain works and how you express yourself, no matter what you say. I appreciate it. And I love that one of the tags on this post is "My Big Opinions."

I think, in the end, our kids are on their own paths, journeys, whatever the hell you want to call it. We're alongside them, sometimes on top of them, sometimes pushing them and sometimes being pulled and sometimes running away or toward. But it's their journey.

Suzy said...

"it's okay to be broken, but you should still work to fix it, even if completely fixing it is impossible."

Really? I think that is a load of BS right there. Most disabilities are not even a little bit fixable and saying something like that makes those of us who are disabled sound like we are just lazy.

As for the term "differently abled" I hate that term. I'm not differently abled, I'm disabled. I have muscular, bone and nerve issues that make me unable to walk more than a short distance and cause all sorts of other things. Broken is a pretty damn good word for it, as a matter of fact, especially since so many people freak out about me calling myself a gimp.

Kineret WillowGreene said...

Rob, I am so glad you chimed in on the R-word debate. Your post was the best I read on the topic. And of someone who feels comfortable with the word broken has issues with the R-word everyone should be taking notice and listening to why that is. (Just to be clear, I don't have an opinion on the use of the word broken. It is not one I have used in this context but that doesn't mean it's not okay for someone with a disability to do so.) Please keep on jumping into the fray when ever you feel led to do so. I, for one need to hear what you have to say.

tiffany ard said...

@differentnotless why do you refer to your former friend as "it"?

Julia Roberts said...

I don't know what to say, except, maybe, that I wish I'd written this but wouldn't have been able to do it so eloquently.

Sisi said...

This post is spot on. Unlike other small communities, we don't share a background or heritage, just a current situation. Yet despite these huge differences we need to somehow stay united both for the sake of advocacy and our mental health.
This is where the push and pull comes from.

I'd like to briefly comment regarding the term "broken", which I don't agree with but can also see where you are coming from. I know I have used it in that way before, as evidenced in my old journal from when I was much younger, so it would be hypocritical for my to chastise anyone for using it. Yet despite what I know cognitively, it does hurt on a raw emotional level every time you refer to my kids as broken. I know your intention is not at all mean spirited, but it feels like a stab to the gut just as the word "retard" does. I have no right to tell you not to use it at all, though I would like to respectfully request that you refrain from using it to refer to OTHER children. This is because the disability community is so diverse, only the person in question or their loved ones should have the right to determine if this label fits them or not.

And if you can't do this, I'll just have to deal with it. While not reading my kids refereed to as "broken" would make this blog easier to read, it is regardless still a wonderful site full of thought provoking thoughts.

Annie said...

I'm going to comment about the whole "fitting in" issue. I guess I have a question. If Schuyler was NT how would you feel about her having a strong desire to "fit in." To dress like the other kids, have the same "stuff" as them. Act like them etc... My guess is that those things are not that important to her parents (I've commented on this before) and that this adds a whole other layer to how you feel about how Schulyer feels on top of the unique issues brought about by her "monster" which I'm sure drives the feelings about fitting in, in a totally different direction.

Robert Hudson said...

Schuyler's desire to fit in isn't about wearing the same clothes as her classmates or having the same "stuff". It's much simpler, just being about to hang with them and be a part of their social circles. It's not about the superficial aspects of "fitting in". It's a much, much more basic social construct.

Amanda Jaksha said...

Bravo Rob. Honestly, aren't we (especially children) all differently abled with unique needs? My daughter however is broken and especially needy. Until our community decides that issues we face are much deeper than labels, well you said it best.
As parents of the especially needy/broken, it is our job to rise above our own insecurities and lack of tolerance for others ignorance to make our children's (and our) lives more acceptable. We should be concerned about Medicare/Medicaid, respite, adult group homes...the list is really endless.
Maybe through these processes we will find adequate labels, maybe not. Is that really the MOST you want for your child?

joee_t said...

thanks again for your well-articulated thoughts.

first, i, too, am glad you chimed in about the "r-word." your essay was well-written, and appealed to people's empathy, which seems to be a good strategy. people don't have rational reasons for using that word, so appeals to rationality aren't likely to work. i can't see how anyone can argue against what you said, without coming across as a jerk.

your thoughts on the use of words are interesting. i'm sort of agnostic about the whole issue right now, and i'm sure my thoughts will continue to change as my son grows older. i read your book and noticed the use of the term "broken." your rationale for using that word makes sense. i haven't decided if it's a word i can use myself, howevever.

i'm currently seeing a therapist to help me come to terms with my son's CP. one of my own issues, i think, is that i felt a lot of grief thinking what my son was intrinsically supposed to be a certain way, but whatever caused his CP "damaged" him, so now he is not his true self. i wonder if you are trying to express the same thing by your term "broken." i'm now contemplating whether that view i have of my son is slightly maladaptive for my own health, and for the way i treat my son. i read about other parents seeing their disabled children for who they are. i wonder if that's something i should strive for. but then i read about parents who say that, given a choice, they wouldn't want to go back and take their child's disability away, and i think, "Wait . . . "

so there's a middle ground i'm trying to find. you present some good arguments to help me think this through. thanks.

Anonymous said...

I went very quickly from Team "How Dare You" to Team "That's it exactly" when I realized that in my head I was hearing the word de-valued when that's clearly not what you were saying. I appreciate the opportunity to chew on the complexity of words for a bit and realize in the end, our commonality may be that we love and value our children. Thanks for another great post.

Kim said...

I've often had the thought that the term "disabled" needs to be replaced with "dysabled" The prefix "dis" means "unable", while "dys" means "different" Most of our kids are not totally unable, they just do things a bit differently. My daughter cannot talk, but gets her point across very well!

Cynthia said...

I have to agree with Suzy. My kid is handicapped, or disabled. She may make small gains, but she'll probably never be "differently abled". Her PMG has manifested as no speech, no walking, no sitting, no crawling, feeding through a tube, and blindness.

That's pretty effin' broken. I'm not a huge fan of broken, because it sounds a little resentful when I say it, but I'm pretty ok with handicapped or disabled. She is handicapped in life, she is disabled by her messed up brain.

And dammit, I still use "mentally retarded" in a medical context, because that's what she is.

Roo's Mom said...

I used to be pretty militant about correcting those around me if they said "Down's kid" or something like that about my kid or others with her diagnosis. I like People First Language, especially in our case, because it puts her diagnosis secondary to her personhood. Maybe I've become too jaded over time, but I don't always correct everyone. I consider who is saying what, how they're saying it and whether or not there is the slightest chance they are using their terminology as a slur. If the answer is no, I usually don't correct. Just depends on my mood, and whether or not I have "bigger fish to fry" at the time.

Julia O'C said...

There was so much that I loved here that to tell you exactly what would be to almost rewrite the whole post (poorly) in your comments section. But I especially loved how you said that we are privileged to be the parents of these kids - because we are. As heartbreaking and horrible as it can be, it's really great, too. I don't think parents of typical kids understand that.

mooserbeans said...

The thing that I like the most about your posts is that you are completely human. You don't try to present your self as a super parent or sugar coat anything. You share your conflicts with us. I have spent years as a special ed. teacher and honestly I have changed my feelings over and over about correct wording and correct educational models. One size doesn't fit all, one method isn't perfect. The kids don't fit one mold.

I am so sorry about Schuyler's struggles to fit in. I spent my school years as a student with special needs, but they were purely academic. No one knew unless I told them or they looked at my work. I bet if you'd ask Schuyler she wants friends more than learning to read or anything else.

Tyger said...

I've been thinking very deeply about the language that surrounds "disability". . .I think your last paragraph sums it up nicely: we're looking for people to treat as as whole. We're looking for people to see us as *people* . . . different, yes, but still human beings.

And that's why I think that this whole thing goes beyond language. The *intention* behind person first language is, I think, as I have indicated above, that the individual with the disability is first and foremost a human being. The problem is, once it is decreed from upon high that "this is the correct way and the only way to refer to someone", we’ve missed the point.

Not only that, but we become complacent and lazy in our interactions, and we default to person first language, “special needs:”, whatever, and the sanctimonious can pat themselves on the back and think that they’re doing right, when, in fact, they still aren’t listening; their minds are still closed.

And until we actually change our way of being with each other, the problem doesn’t go away if you ban words and insist on using other words. If we campaign hard to ban certain words, without changing our way of being with each other, we end up playing a gigantic game of whack-a-mole with certain words going in and out of favour (see the protagonist in the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time who is taunted with the phrase “special needs” as he gets off the bus), without actually getting to the heart of the matter.

Anonymous said...

I just want to tell you my 4 year old son has BPP, and double whammied with a mitochondrial disease. Thank you for your poignant, truthful, heart-achingly beautiful musings about this strange parenting role we have been thrust into. I both love it and hate it...just as much as it is nice and terrible to know that others understand. Please keep up the amazing work.

Catherine said...

It's tough for a lot of kids who aren't as skilled socially and who just don't fit in with others for whatever reason. Throw in communication problems and some true differences, and it is that much more difficult.

I am hoping that as time goes by and the kids get to know Schuyler, this gets better.