February 13, 2009

I am your San Francisco treat, baby

If you're in the Bay Area, this is your reminder to come see me tonight at 7:00, at Book Passage in Corte Madera. I think it's going to be a lot of fun. There may be some special surprises of the snack variety and just maybe, if I can figure out how to make it work, a special guest appearance of sorts. Oo, a teaser.

I'm having an amazing time in San Francisco. I spoke to an advanced composition class at the College of San Mateo, and afterwards we workshopped some of their own personal narrative pieces, all of which were really very good. I hereby repudiate all my cracks about "kids these days". I also visited the Bridge School and a program very similar to Schuyler's in Oakland, and it was an experience that I am still processing and will write about at length soon. Today I'm going to explore the city with Monique, and I'd be a terrible father to Schuyler if my day didn't include a visit to the Pirate Supply Store.

Oh, and I accidentally cut off the tip of my finger. I suppose I'll write about that soon, too.

11 comments:

DDanielle said...

Hi Rob, I have been reading (and loving) your blog for a while. I just bought and finished your book this past week. It was great (although I have a few gripes about things your wrote about Detroit;-). I hope your book tour (or whatever it is lol) will someday make it SE Michigan!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, just leave us all hanging with the tip of your finger!

Talk about a tease.

Elizabeth said...

Do you ever come down to Los Angeles? We have a few really good independent bookstores here and many of your readers!

Anonymous said...

Ok I'll bite. What happened to your finger was there a question of reattaching it and are you OK?
Good luck.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

Ok I'll bite. What happened to your finger was there a question of reattaching it and are you OK?
Good luck.
Barbara

Eric Sailers, M.A., CCC-SLP said...

Have any plans on coming to San Diego? I'd love to meet you and get a signed copy of your book.

Ellen Seidman said...

Hey. Hope the finger is doing OK.... San Francisco is one of my favorite cities, wish I were there!

Anonymous said...

I second the petition for you to come to San Diego!
Bring Schuyler and my daughter will search out any
dinosaurs and/or pirates in town.

P.S. Knowing your preference for non-anonymous commentators, I tried to figure out the name
thingie but am so computer challenged it's going
to take me a bit longer.

Anonymous said...

I feel kind of dumb telling you this, because you may already know all about it, but I thought just in case it's something you haven't heard of, I'd tell you.

Have you heard about "muscle based therapy" for people with speech problems? The theory is to train the weak muscles directly, kind of like facial pilates. It's supposed to work for Moebius syndrome, so it may be worth checking out for Schuyler. Even if it just stops the drooling, that would be a plus.

http://www.talktools.net/site/web-content/child_solutions/evaluations.htm

Anonymous said...

Hey anonymous, if you want to comment and use a name, here's what you do. Write your comment and then click where it says 'Name/URL'. Just fill in the name field with a name, no URL is required, leave that blank. Then click 'Publish your comment' and ...voila!

Anonymous said...

Rob has raised "giving the finger" to a new level, apparently.