December 24, 2008

"Hoping it might be so..."


It being Christmas Eve, Schuyler and I went to see Santa this afternoon. This year, we continued our streak of good Santas. After she sat down with him and introduced herself with her device, Schuyler handed him her carefully handwritten note, which he was actually able to decipher. They spoke softly for a while (he reminded her to leave him some cookies, and then flashed me a quick smile as if to say "Dude, you owe me one"), and then, as she was getting up to leave, he held up his hand and stopped her.

"Now, Schuyler," Santa said, "because you've been so good this year, and because you're such a unique little girl, I'm going to give you something that no other child is getting today." He reached down into a chest next to his chair and pulled out a large red sleighbell, ala Polar Express. He gave it to her and then whispered something in her ear. She smiled hugely and hopped away, ringing her little bell.

As we left the little stage area, I saw one of the helpers watching the whole scene. She was actually crying a little, and when she saw me looking at her, she smiled at me and wiped her eyes. "I'm sorry, she said, "but that was just so sweet! He hasn't done that for anyone else that I know of."

As we left, Schuyler was obsessed with the bell. She rang it and peered at it carefully. She seemed to be working something out in her head. Finally she said, "Daddy?"

I looked down at her. "Why?" she asked, indicating the bell.

"Why did Santa give that to you, and no one else?" I asked, making sure I understood the question. She nodded. I thought about it for a moment.

"Well, Santa said you were 'unique'. That means there's not another little girl in the whole world like you, and that's true. Did you know there's no one else anywhere who talks like you do, Schuyler?"

"Really?" she asked.

"Really. That's why you have to use your device to tell us all things. Your words are so special that no one else is smart enough to understand them. That's why he called you 'unique'. You're the most special little girl in the world. There's only one Schuyler anywhere, and I've got you. That makes me pretty unique, too."

She liked that answer.

I know my answer sort of flies in the face of what I'm always saying, about how I don't like People First Language because it sugarcoats disability and blinks when facing the monster head on. But I don't know, I guess on Christmas Eve of all days, I permit myself to believe that perhaps Schuyler's strange words aren't necessarily broken, but from some other world that I'll never be able to visit but which, through her, I get to glimpse.

In 1 Corinthians, St. Paul describes the tongues of angels, unintelligible to us. Maybe, just maybe, this is what he meant. On today of all days, even in my deeply held agnosticism, I'm like Thomas Hardy in his poem "The Oxen". I'm not inclined to believe in miracles, but that doesn't mean I don't pay attention to the things around me, like Schuyler, that sometimes seem miraculous.

I don't necessarily believe, but sometimes I hope, and that might just be enough.



The Oxen

Christmas Eve, and twelve of the clock,
"Now they are all on their knees",
An elder said as we sat in a flock
By the embers in hearthside ease.

We pictured the meek mild creatures where
They dwelt in their strawy pen,
Nor did it occur to one of us there
To doubt they were kneeling then.

So fair a fancy few would weave
In these years! Yet, I feel,
If someone said on Christmas Eve,
"Come; see the oxen kneel

"In the lonely barton by yonder coomb
Our childhood used to know",
I should go with him in the gloom,
Hoping it might be so.

-- Thomas Hardy

38 comments:

Niksmom said...

This is beautiful. Merry Christmas to you, Julie & Schuyler.

Karen said...

Santa brought a tear to my eye as well. Schuyler certainly is a special little girl, and you're blessed to have each other.

Anonymous said...

I saw that Santa on WFAA TV this morning. He was a really great interview for Gary Cogill. I'm glad Schuyler got him and he got Schuyler.

Anonymous said...

Although I have been reading your blog for several years now, I think this is the first comment that I have ever made. This story touched me so much. I can't even say much through my tears.

I know that you will all treasure that sleigh bell from Santa forever.

You, Julie, and Schuyler are all very blessed to have each other.

k2 said...

Beautiful on every level. You are all blessed to have one anther.
Merry Christmas and please tell Schyuler to continue to ring the bell, so that angels can continue to "get their wings."
Peace
k2

Jenn said...

Dude, you made me cry.
Hope y'all have a fantastic day!!!
-J

Anonymous said...

Oh, Rob, I really love you for this post. There's denial (which is maybe what you object to in the People-First-type approach), and there's anger and fear and defiance, but then there's hope. I'm an agnostic pagan, but I love that today, of all days, you're thinking about this feathery thing. I wish you, Schuyler, and Julie all good things.

restlessly said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful account, Rob. Merry Christmas to you, Julie & Schuyler.

Anonymous said...

I eagerly wait for each one of your updates. There's always something relevant for me, something that helps me in our journey to raise our own daughter.

I'm crying too. thank you.

Bev Sykes said...

Swell. Start Christmas with me sobbing into my laptop! :) Beautiful experience and the photo was very special.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful. You both truly ARE unique! And we're blessed to know you. Merry Christmas!

Impy the Painter said...

I love Santa. I really do.

jypsy said...

Too cool! Hope you left him one of your finest cookies last night... Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

The story was awesome enough, but your insight and reflection on it is truly beautiful. Bless that Santa, and bless you guys. I'm glad you all had a wonderful Christmas!

weebug said...

Merry Christmas to the three of you. You made me cry in a very good way. Thank you.

Ellen Seidman said...

I cried too. Merry, merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

What a cool looking Santa. I wonder about him.

Michelle said...

Wow. Karen sent me over for some real news about Santa. Yep, I've gota couple tears here myself. How sweet! Yay to such a great Santa!

little.birdy said...

Aw, that is the sweetest thing! Merry Christmas to ya'll (I'm Southern) and I hope Scuyler gets that guitar! ;) I keep thinking about it and smiling ever since that post.

Julia O'C said...

I can't find the words to adequately to say just how amazing and beautiful that was.
Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

It could only happen to you and Schuyler......you found the "real Santa"

Iguana said...

Kristi & I with Timbo made 13 visits with Timothy to that Santa -- because he's so special. The boy broke Kristi's heart this year when he told her that he just couldn't go sit in Santa's lap at 13 ;)

Santa's alter-ego, Dr. Carl Anderson, is a really neat guy.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/story?oid=oid:83472

http://www.utexas.edu/news/1998/11/16/nr_santa/

Here's hoping that the Hudson clan had a very Merry Christmas!

Walter

Karen Harrington said...

Well, I think you just received some love from above, my friend. :) Merry Christmas.

Sara said...

Merry christmas.

Wanted to tell you about the absence seizures. I started having them in highschool, as you stated that you'd read, I had no idea I was havin them. I wasn't aware and if I understand correctly most people aren't. Found out when I got introuble for not paying attention several times and my parents started noticing me phasing out. My 2nd sleep deprived eeg showed the seziure so hopefully you'll get what you need to know with Schuyler.

Now, after I was told what I was doing, I started noticing things. Not while having the seizure, but I'd have this odd sensation of, imagine having a conversation with someone, but steping out of the room for a few seconds. So, I'd come back a bit lost and having to regather. But it wasn't even noticeable until I started looking.

Elizabeth said...

I just finished your book and I had to lie on my bed, flat and just, well, lie there. Savor it -- the feelings it evoked, the comfort it provided (I have a daughter with some really serious monsters)and the inspiration it gave me. And maybe a little envy, too, as I struggle to organise my own book. Congratulations and thank you, thank you.

The Meyer Family said...

I received my copy of the book as a much-desired Christmas present. Read it non-stop. Now I'm eagerly awaiting the companion volume: The Pictorial History of Life with Schuyler. You are talented not only with words, but also with photographs. I'd love to have a book full of them.

Liana said...

Beautiful, beautiful post- thank you so much for sharing that story and your feelings about it all.

I'm glad about your Santa, too- seems like he was pretty unique as well.

Hoping. Sometimes that's all we can do...and yes, sometimes I believe it IS enough...perfectly enough.

Anonymous said...

Rob, Hope is what the Christchild brought all those many years ago, so that we can face the monsters and know there is something beyond them...something real and tangible and heavenly.

So lovely that both you and Schuyler caught a little piece of that on, of all days, Christmas Eve.

God bless...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You don't have to post this, I know you are probably still mad at me, but I was so happy to read this.

"Hope" is a great place to start.

Kim in AK

mommy2twindaughters said...

This post was beautiful. As parents, especially parents of special needs children, we have to have hope. I am like you, I'm not sure if I believe but I hold onto hope with all my might. Hoping you had a wonderful Christmas. Happy New Year.

Robert Hudson said...

You don't have to post this, I know you are probably still mad at me, but I was so happy to read this.

"Hope" is a great place to start.


Whatever it starts in this household, it doesn't end in Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Baby steps, Rob. Take care.

Kim in AK

Robert Hudson said...

Baby steps in the wrong direction, sorry. Schuyler's got imaginary friends already.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how blogger works. Can you automatically block this Kim in AK thing?

Robert Hudson said...

She's posting anonymously, but it doesn't matter. I delete posts that are spam, that say hurtful things about people other than myself, or which are threatening in nature. Anyone else gets to say whatever they want.

Dumb people don't make me any dumber when they say dumb things.

Leigh Ann said...

I have a picture with that Santa! And I think because Schuyler is so special that when you have her attention, you feel very special too. At least I have experienced that, and I think Santa did too.

Shellie said...

That was sweet. I think it is so.