June 6, 2008

Interview on Psychjourney

So if you've ever thought to yourself "Say, I like that Rob guy's voice so much, I could listen to him for HOURS," then today is your lucky day. I did an interview yesterday with Deborah Harper, the president of Psychjourney, and what was scheduled to be about a half hour interview turned into an hour and thirteen minutes. Wow!

The thing is, the interview went long because I think we got into some interesting areas, and Deborah is a fantastic interviewer who spends time with a question and follows up on points and gets very personally involved in the answers. We had the opportunity to talk earlier in the week instead of doing the actual interview (as I was sick and sounded like Puberty Frog at the time), and I think that earlier connection really made for a comfortable interview. I was much more at ease for this one than I've been before, and it definitely shows. I know an hour of me jabbering might not sound like your idea of a fun afternoon, but I think you'll like this one.

Psychjourney: Schuyler’s Monster: A Father’s Journey With His Wordless Daughter

When I went to the site this morning, I was surprised to see that in addition to the interview, Deborah had also posted the little video I made of two year-old Schuyler back in the summer of 2002, a full year before she was diagnosed with polymicrogyria. I watched it and found myself getting surprisingly weepy. It took me back to a time when we didn't know any monsters, only this funky, weird little kid who had a wheezy little donkey laugh and liked to dump water out of the bathtub.

My favorite moment is when she violently smacks me in the head and then immediately embraces me with a sort of poignant tenderness. That's my life with Schuyler in a nutshell.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That seems like thirty years ago.

eliza said...

I love that video.

Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here mourning the loss of the life you thought you were going to lead when that video was made.

Not better, not worse, just different from what you expected.

Kirsty Worth said...

Her laugh is infectious, it makes me laugh with her, and I dont even know whats funny. Besides that, it should be an advery for stylish kids...she's officially the best dressed toddler ever, that black raincoat is so cute! Do they make those in adult sizes?

Kevin T. Keith said...

She is so mesmerizing.

I love the little jittery dance at 1:13, and the towel/cape dance at 1:30.

When she hits you, then hugs you, there's just a moment when the older Schuyler is very visible in her. It's amazing how much they change over the years.

You said somewhere on this blog that you wanted people to feel, not pity, but jealousy, at your life with Schuyler. I always have, and never more so than in seeing this video. You have something so lovely, and so magical, it is impossible not to be in awe.

Nightfall said...

I love the sleepy grin at the end, that just caps it for me. It's like she's made for the camera, she relates to it so well.

My favourite, though, is still a tossup between "Wings" (with the old Andrew Bird background music), or "My Heart Belongs To Daddy", which in addition to being a fabulous slice of Schuyler, also turned me on to Lisa Ekdahl and now I want to sing smoky jazz standards...

Solcat said...

I love her laugh. It's the epitome of pure unabashed joy.

Sophia Edith Mae said...

I liked the interview and listened to the whole thing at work. I pre-ordered the book, but it's still "in queue" waiting its turn. The interview and the various RumHud/Schuyler videos linked here have served to move it to the top of the list.

Anonymous said...

Donnathedead said: You know what? Watching the video of Schuyler is like videos of my own children or grandchildren, and indeed, I have known of your family longer than 3 of my grandkids. She has become like one of my own, and, I suspect, there are many people that feel the same about your little girl. She belongs to the world, but is not of this world, she has a reality all her own. Thank you for letting us glimpse it.

PeanutandSweetPea said...

The interview was awsome! She was a very compassionate person, had her own battles she had waged, she seemed to really connect with you and the book. So very cool that you have been able to do this, to share your daughter and your life in a way that is resounding with so many. You mentioned a movie possibility. Wow, if that happens I can only imagine the impact you and Schuyler can make on this big old world.

Wow.

lost indie said...

I love the little walk down the street in the raincoat.

Gotta turn a circle and the we can be on our way.

Also love the casper the ghost bath sheet sceen...

Anonymous said...

I love the video. Baby Schuyler was so adorable! (Not that 'young lady Schuyler' isn't...you know what I mean.) How could anyone not love that kid?! Thanks for sharing!

Kinzie said...

that is the sweetest thing ever.