October 30, 2006

Wiccan nugget


"She turned me into a newt."
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
First off, no, I haven't had my little pebble baby yet. And everything you've heard about how painful kidney stones can be? Um, it's all true. Fuck a duck, this hurts.

But I really don't want to go on about that, mostly because "it hurts" is about the most illuminating thing I have to share. It may be an understatement on the same scale as "Hitler was mean", but really, it hurts. Not much more to say about it.

We just finished the annual ritual of deciding what Schuyler is going to be for Halloween, and as you can see, she settled on being a witch again. Unlike last year's punky, sassy and yeah, kind of slutty Spider Witch, however, this year she has opted for the more traditional, Wizard of Oz-ish Old Skool Witch.

I suppose her costume might be even more borderline offensive than last year, both to Religious Conservatives (ie. kooks) who don't dig the supernatural ("Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"; thanks for nothing, silly Bible) and would prefer Barbie or a little miniature Ann Coulter to come to their door, and also to Wiccans (ie. you know, actual witches) who probably don't love the idea of the traditional negative cackling witch with the broom, eating up Hansel ünd Gretel, etc.

But the costume was Schuyler's choice, and it didn't involve a character from a television show or a corporate product endorsement. Besides, we're not going to turn her green or give her a wart. She's actually a very cute little witch, albeit perhaps a slightly wicked one. She looks more Amish than evil.

The route to this costume was, like last year, a circuitous one. For months she's been saying that she wanted to be a mermaid for Halloween, but when we started looking for costumes, the ones we found looked ridiculously crappy or Jon Benet-whoreish. Leave it to the Disney store to have the only halfway decent-looking mermaid costume, and they wanted... (wait for it, wait for it...) EIGHTY ACTUAL AMERICAN REAL DOLLARS for it, for no other apparent reason than they just released The Little Mermaid on DVD and can jack up the price as a result of all the little girls with Ariel on the brain. I hate you, Disney. I hate you more than ever before, and I hated you pretty hardcore before this.

We then found an awesome pirate costume and were both set to go as matching pirates. (Julie is insisting on going as a soldier, for reasons that escape me but have something to do with already having the costume, and I think I'm going to take a "don't ask, don't tell" approach to that particular acquisition of hers.) Something happened inside the mysterious head of Schuyler, however, and suddenly she didn't want to be a pirate anymore. With only minutes to spare before exhausting our last molecules of patience, she suddenly saw this costume and decided that she wanted to be a witch, of the "Wicked Witch of the Pick a Direction" variety, and that was that. Being Schuyler, she opted to bypass the traditional twiggy broom for the stylish purple model and the purple striped tights, and of course the addition of her traditional pink Chuck Taylors finished the look.

Finished, of course, except for the hair. We did that tonight, with a color that she picked out months ago and which was just patiently waiting in the bathroom cupboard for the right moment. Tonight was the night of the Great Purpling, both for Schuyler's hair and, for a while, her skin, my fingernails and most of the tile in our bathroom. Everything's back to its preferred color now except for my fingernails, which are now zombie-purple. (Say, there's an idea for a costume. It would fit well with the effects of the Vicodin I'm taking.)

You'll be especially amused to know that in order to appease Schuyler even further, I finally gave in to the request that she has made every time we color her hair. I tried a little on myself, purpling up a big strand in the front. Sadly, my hair is so dark that it is almost invisible. You can be the judge of whether or not that's really bad news; I do have a job, after all, although it is in academia where that sort of thing is probably expected from time to time.

Halloween is a strange day for Schuyler, and one that she and I both dig more than I can explain. Neither of us can really eat very much of the candy, after all. Her dysphagia makes hard candy dangerous for her to eat, and of course now I've got the Beedies pissing on all my Halloween fun.

But we throw ourselves into Halloween just the same. I suspect that it has to do with the fact that for that one day, she's not a kid with a monster, strange and alone with her Martian language and her computerized voice. On Halloween, she's supposed to be a weird kid, but not THE weird kid just this once. It's a day when she can lose herself in being a witch and not have to be whatever it is that the world sees her as the rest of the time. Sweet and punky yet weird and broken, whatever. She gets to toss that aside for the day and be a witch. "Give me some candy or I'll turn you into a fly."

Halloween is her day to just be a kid.

As for me, now that we've strayed from the pirate idea, I'm at a loss for a matching costume. I'd love to go as her flying monkey, but I don't think I'm ambitious enough to make that happen.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kidney dtones hurt MORE than labor. I know, I've had both. I must have a pain tolerance of nil because the vicodin was like taking baby aspirin. Seriously, I get shudders just thinking about The Stones From Hell. Schuyler looks very cool as a witch..not Hansel and Gretel eating at all. At least she changes it up every year, Rymer is going as the same thing he as been for the last four halloweens: Harry Potter.
Funny thing about Schuyler's hair is that as I am reading this I have purple dye in my bangs and I'm going as a witch also. My stripey socks are red though and my chucks purple.

Anonymous said...

Rob, I am making a standing offer for next year and will e-mail then as well: next year I will make you and Schuyler and Julie your costumes so that they can be everything Schuyler's imagination directs.

As for what you should be right now, some kind of superhero related to your unfortunate ailment might be in order.

watchwhathappens said...

feeling bad about your rocky condition - it just sounds...ow.

and i think an ann coulter costume would be the scariest of all. i shudder just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should go as something that Schuyler the witch turned you into (and in that case, maybe a zombie would work).

robyncz said...

I think you should be Schuyler's little black kitty. All you need is a black leotard and tights, a tail and some kitty ears. Pencil on some whiskers and viola. It would be easier than a flying monkey, and much, much creepier.

Anonymous said...

Costume prices can be CRAZY! esp. for the itty bitty material UGH! She looks cute :) We have a Ninja (again) and a Lrg. Minnie Mouse NOT Disney < "MightyGreedyMickey" is what the Floridians refer to as MGM there... As for "Beedies" I get a BIG kick outta the way you named it - my son last year 1st x diagnososed type 1 + 1st Halloween was kinda pissed ( he gets to have some/healthy amounts) it takes the "impulsive fun" out of it though.. :( Sucks for kids !

Erin said...

I love the classic witch, she wears it well, especially with the purple hair.

How about going as the Great and Powerful Oz? It goes well with the Wicked Witch and really all you need is a green vest and some very rosy cheeks.

Oddly enough, I've got Glinda at my house this year.

Anonymous said...

what's the ETA on the resolution of this stone! GOD! the whole idea scares me. how do you get them? from not drinking enough water? i am SO GOING TO DRINK ENOUGH WATER!

...S is fab. love the old skool

Robert Hudson said...

They thought it would be gone in a day or two. I'm waiting to hear back froom my doctor on what my next step should be.

Anonymous said...

I have those exact same purple striped tights (only, y'know, bigger) and I am also going to have purple hair. (I'm going to be a pixie, though.)

I have at various times in my life identified as Wiccan, pagan, agnostic and/or atheist (currently sort of a continuum of those last three, and yes I know that doesn't make a great deal of sense), and it's my personal opinion that anyone who would find that adorable costume offensive probably has a giant stick up their ass.

Nightfall said...

She looks like a Discworld witch. You could go as Rincewind the wizard or Death or something. ;-)

bozoette said...

I love her broom! Purple sparkles are just the ticket.

Anonymous said...

For Rob's costume: I vote for a prince with frog feet, as in "didn't quite make the entire transition, did I"?

Anonymous said...

The costume is quite awesome. Although I am a little sad that this year's costume doesn't involve a genuinely kick-ass wig, I have to say Schuyler is cute with purple hair.

The kidney stone, however, sucks. I do hope it runs its course soon.

Anonymous said...

I am constantly amazed at your ability to come at the world fists up. I mean, I understand that your family hasn't been dealt the best hand, but why must everything be a *statement*? Schuyler's a witch for Halloween? Forget that it's a traditional costume that children have worn for as long as there's been Halloween; for you, its some quasi religious-political statement. Can't it just be Halloween? I've been living in North Texas for more than 14 years, now, and never have I experienced the political persecution you so often reference.

If Schuyler turns any heads tomorrow, it will be because of her little-girl cuteness; not because any Bush-supporting, fundamentalist Christian zealot will be out damning and judging on Halloween. Can't you cast of your martyr's weight long enough to just enjoy the evening?

How do you know I'm not Liddy Wales? said...

I think you should go as Glinda. :)

Robert Hudson said...

I am constantly amazed at your ability to come at the world fists up.

I do so long to amaze the anonymous.

Jenni said...

My son is insisting on being Sir Topham Hatt from Thomas the Tank Engine. I was not cut out to raise a conformist child. This is the first year that he is old enough to voice an opinion, and it has to be ultra boring? I guess it's better than Diego or Elmo. Of course, his idea of a Topham Hatt costume is his tuxedo from his Uncle's wedding. Could we get more boring? We keep trying to entice him with more exciting things, but time is running out!
Enjoy your little witch and have a great time on your special day!

Anonymous said...

There's one in every crowd. Don't know what I'll do the first time one of them finds my blog. Ugh.

Schuyler is JUST PRECIOUS with her purple hair and matching wand/broom. Wish I could see the tights. I love stripey tights more than almost anything.

Signing anonymously this time only so that your heckler doesn't follow me home.

K

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm Wiccan, an honest-to-goodness real witch, and I think that picture is just ADORABLE.

Of course, being a fan of Wicked, whenever I see even the typical green-skinned witch with a pointy hat I just go "Eee! It's Elphaba!"

Life's just too short to take seriously. ;-)

Anonymous said...

i think it's smart to wait until the last min. when it comes to halloween costumes. kids always change their minds.