February 22, 2016

Her Own Beautiful Game

Today at Support for Special Needs:
Excerpt: 
I confess, I've worried so much about Schuyler finding her tribe, but in some ways, she's had them around her all along. I think I always envisioned a close group that hung out after school and communicated regularly and folded each other into their daily lives. I realize now that I've been looking at it through neurotypical eyes. Schuyler's tribe was never going to behave like I did with my youthful friends. Their particular obstacles are incredibly complex, and the logistics of something as simple as a trip to the mall to hang out are complicated. In the world of Schuyler's disabled friends, electronic communications and social media have become something of an equalizer, and that's where they navigate much their tricky relationships. They're all finding their way, with tools I never dreamed of at her age. Schuyler's Island of Misfit Toys is part of an archipelago.

No comments: