December 21, 2015

The Season of Beauty Found

Today at Support for Special Needs:
Excerpt: 
It's only a few days before Christmas, and even though I'm a dirty heathen, I find myself compelled to reach out to my fellow special needs parents. I understand that it's not necessary an easy or particularly merry time for many of you. I know that in some ways, this might be the very hardest part of the year. There's not much in the world with as much power to isolate us as a seemingly constant reminder that the standard holiday narrative is not our own. Happy and understanding families, smiling untroubled kids, a world filled with peace and love and acceptance, all of these can feel far away to us. The Norman Rockwell scenario fed to us by popular media can sometimes feel like it's winking at us and saying out of the corner of its mouth, "Ah, yes, but not for you."
Happy holidays to you all!

No comments: