May 12, 2014

Advocacy, with Heart

Today at Support for Special Needs:
There's a balance to be struck, I imagine. We don't want hysterical, emotional professionals (as entertaining as that might sound), nor do we want dispassion. Experience matters, not so much as a driver of curriculum and the approaches taken with individual kids, because the idea that every kid is a unique snowflake takes on a very different and important meaning when it comes to teaching and treating individuals with disabilities. But personal experience makes us better listeners. It makes us more flexible, and it enables us to think on our feet and, perhaps more importantly, to use our intuition to guide us.

1 comment:

shelties11 said...

I want you to know how much I admire you, your daughter, and your writing. I often read your blog posts, and I'm always impressed with the clarity and intelligence. I hope you know that many people read your essays but most don't comment.

I hope you do become a professional advocate — I really think you would be excellent.