October 7, 2013

The Invisible Man

This morning, there's a new post at Support for Special Needs:
If you are writing about an issue that affects you as a disability parent, and if that issue doesn't relate to something that is specific to the experience of being a mother, I'm not going to ask you not to address your concerns to "special needs moms" only. But I am going to ask you why you're making that choice.
Is it because in your experience, mothers are the ones doing the heavy lifting? That makes sense; the statistics certainly back you up to some extent. But if that is in fact your perspective, I have to ask you, do you like it that way? And if you don't, how do you feel about a societal narrative that feeds this perception? More to the point, how do you feel about participating in the reenforcement and perpetration of this narrative?

2 comments:

Barbara Carson Todd said...

Rob, thanks for posting. As Joe's mom (non-verbal,Down Syndrome, age 20, very cool guy), I speak for my son, because he can't speak or write. He taps my lips and I ask questions until I find out what he wants to say. It took 3 days to find the question: "What's wrong with me that Dad never comes to visit?" We had to exert tons of family pressure to get Joe's dad to visit for the first time in 6 years. Moms LOVE dads who are actively involved in their children's lives. Children need both parents. Keep it up, please!
God bless,
Barbara

Barbara Carson Todd said...

http://www.barbaracarson.com
Very happy to see a dad blogging about his nonverbal child. Wonderful!