December 13, 2011

A Ghost of Christmas Past

I unearthed another short video, this time from Christmas of 2002. Schuyler had just turned three. She didn't care much for her presents, but she dug the snow and she loved her mother and father without limits. And her mittens didn't fit. That was Schuyler in the waning days of 2002.

This was the last Christmas we had without the known presence of her monster, and all the heaviness in the air that accompanied that knowledge for so many years. It was also our last real Christmas in New Haven, Connecticut. By this time the next year, we were on our way to Texas.

Nine years, wow. It feels roughly a thousand years ago. Approximately.

As long-time readers will remember, we used to call Schuyler "The Chubbin". You'll see why. It's hard to reconcile that fat, totally wordless little monkey with the tall drink of communicating water we have now.

I sort of wish I could warn that family how much sorrow was waiting for them, and how much joy, too. Mostly the joy.

9 comments:

Sabrina Steyling said...

What a cute video! Schuyler sure was a Chubbin then wasn't she? How adorable! Love the piece toward the end where she's jumping in the snow; I wish I loved snow as an adult as much as she did then as a little kid. :)

Robert Hudson said...

These videos fascinate her because she has no clear memories of New Haven, aside from a little stuffed creature that was a gift from a friend. She remembers that and the friend weirdly well. But not the snow or anything else.

Bev Sykes said...

who are those two youngsters playing with her?

I can't believe so many years have passed either. I've "known" you guys longer than some of my f2f friends.

Ariel said...

Aww, from the Darn Tootin' days. MEEEEMOREEEEEES....

Annie said...

I'm just curious. At this point you knew something was pretty "wrong" didn't you? Even though not what it was. I know how I felt when I had a 3 year old who wasn't talking. Did you really feel as carefree as you look? Were you not worried every second about what the problem might be?

Robert Hudson said...

I'm not entirely sure how to answer this, Annie, except to say that first of all, we knew something wasn't developing correctly with Schuyler, but we did not yet know that it was something more significant than a developmental issue. Kids at that age develop speech at different rates, and there wasn't much of an indication at that point that something more daunting was at work.

Beyond that, however, I don't think we've ever been a terribly glum family even under the worst of circumstances. We shot other videos during that time, some of them after her diagnosis, and I like to think that we were still a pretty laid back bunch.

Claire said...

When she had the Ricky Martin Keychain, what was she doing with her fingers?

Poor Madeline...did she ever grow to love her?

My kids were weirdly non attached to stuffed animals or figures for the longest time. My younger son did have a doll that he played with but there was no great attachment. UNTIL Webkins came along and they were much older than the lovey stage (but man they then loved those Webkins and made up for lost time).

jjiraffe said...

OK, the Heartbreak of Rejection made me laugh. A lot.

Thanks for the flashback: the camera loved Schuyler back then as much as it does now. Also, thanks for reminding me of Ricky Martin's existence! Totally forgot about him.

Dee said...

You must be so glad you made that video, Rob. It warms my heart terribly, as a mere observer of your journey. I can`t imagine how precious it must be to have the vivid capture of a moment in your lives that might have otherwise faded.