October 17, 2011

The Road

I wrote a piece called "The Road" for my friends over at Support for Special Needs, on the topic of Schuyler (surprise!) and transitions. (Nothing about cannibalism or the end of civilization, alas. Next time, I promise.) You should be reading over there anyway, but if you're not, this is a chance to get your toes wet. I hope you'll stick around.

I kind of like this essay. It's one of those instances where I set out to write one thing, a straight-forward piece about the transition to middle school, and suddenly found that I had something very personal to share instead. Ah, narcissism. Is there anything you can't do?

9 comments:

Julia Roberts said...

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Elizabeth said...

On my way. I'm sure it'll be great --

Penny said...

Such a wonderful piece Rob. Thank you.

Ethel Mertz said...

I enjoyed it very much. It was very sweet. But I did gag on Schuyler's implied "unfair advantage".

Sandra said...

Rob,
About Schyuler's band experiences - wouldn't it be possible for the director to let Schyuler play parts that she masters (simple rhythms, just hands, or adjusted to whatever it might be that's easy for her). I know nothing about percussions so I might be way off here, but when I played band, we often played in parts and the more skilled musicians took on the lead parts. Just a thought - no idea if that's gonna work for Schyuler or the band, but I just thought I put it out there. Thanks for writing, I always read your posts with great interest.

tiffany ard said...

I know it's not a band instrument, but do you think she could play a Theremin? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l9YcewEumw&feature=related

Synthesizers could be another musical outlet for her -- sliders and loops and pedals that don't require fine motor skills or physical strength or muscle/breath control. More along the lines of the kind of concentration and desire to express a thought or feeling that her BBOW requires.

Julia O'C said...

That was beautifully written.

It's hard when your heart exists outside of your own body.

Mrs. Silverstein said...

Hi Rob,

I've been following the blog for a few years now, and loved your book. I'm entering into the blogging fray now myself. Stop by this post if you like–I’ve tagged you for a blog award.

http://readingontheftrain.blogspot.com/2011/10/what-was-i-just-saying-about-this.html

Ollibean said...

I love your writing, it's beautiful. Your love for amazing Schuyler radiates from each word. "The bus is delivering my heart back to me" <3
Lauri