November 20, 2010

Magic trick


Sad day at Legacy Books
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob
Earlier this evening, we visited a new independent bookstore in the area. Well, it's technically new, anyway; A Real Bookstore opened this week following the closing of my beloved Legacy Books a few months ago. Same people, slightly different concept, and I wish them well. The new store isn't quite as fancy or unique as the old, but I think it has at least a chance of surviving, so there's that.

Anyway, as Julie and Schuyler went to the (very nice) kids' department, I briefly stopped in the Biography section to see if they had my book. (Because I am a total narcissist, sure. I'd like to see YOU walk into a new bookstore and not check to see if they carried your book. Judgey.) I discovered that not only did they have it, but it was a copy left over from my store appearance back in 2009, complete with autographs from me (in boring black ink) and Schuyler (in pink, with little flowers). If that sounds like fun to you, well, now you know where you can find it.

I rejoined the fam and we explored the store for a while. As we moved back towards the front of the store, I turned to Schuyler and said, "Do you want to see if they've got your book?" She was all about the idea, budding little narcissist that she is. When we found the book, I pulled it out and held it over her head.

"Want to see a magic trick?" I asked. "I'm going to sign this book with my BRAIN!" I closed my eyes, put the book to my head and made a funny alien sound for a few seconds.

"Do you want to try it?" I asked. She nodded excitedly, and I put the book to her forehead. She closed her eyes and made some appropriately weird sounds. "Sign it in pink," I said "And draw some flowers!"

When I opened the book and turned to the title page, I have to say, she was muchly impressed. I suspect she might have seen through my shenanigans, but if so, she kept it to herself. Sometimes Schuyler plays along when she knows better. She understands that there are different kinds of magic in the world, I guess.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh, I love this post. It's always good to hear from you --

Niksmom said...

What? I would've totally bought into it. :-)

StaceyEsq said...

Don't know which I liked better -- the post or the wonderful picture of your gorgeous girl and you! We'll chalk it up to a tie! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Sabrina Steyling said...

Great post, Rob. Cute idea that even I would have played along with. =)

Oh, and from one writer to another, while I haven't got a book published to my name yet, I've got several writer friends who do, and I just love going into bookstores and looking them up, then opening up the book and saying out loud to anyone who will hear, "This author's my friend!"

Yeah, I'm weird like that.

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

Love it!!