July 13, 2010

Road trip


Smartass fortune cookie
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob
Schuyler and I are heading back to Odessa, land of my misspent youth, to speak to a book club and visit the fam. Weirdly, this is actually the first book-related thing I've done back home. We'll see if anyone caught that part about "Odessalation" or "Slowdeatha".

A possible added bonus? I might just be playing my trombone in a public place for the first time since the Clinton administration, at the Summer Mummers in Midland on Friday night. We'll just have to see how tragic I sound. It might not be pretty. Well, I think I can pretty much guarantee "not pretty".

Entertaining? Well, in a NASCAR burning-wreckage-flying-into-the-stands sort of way, sure.

4 comments:

PV Lundqvist said...

Ah, the trombone. The bohemian brass instrument.

Work on that lip and oil that slide.

Amy said...

Odessa? Almost my entire family went to Permian High School although I was born in and raised in Houston. I have many memories of that glorious dust bowl.

Julia O'C said...

When I saw that picture of your fortune on FB, I laughed so hard that coffee came out of my nose.

adequatemom said...

I think it's great that you'll get to play your trombone. Hope you enjoy! Maybe it'll be the start of a new trend.