December 26, 2009

Snow Day, 2003

After it snowed the other day, I went looking for video to show Schuyler what we used to call REAL snow. I knew I had some boring old holiday videos I could show her, but in addition, I found this ridiculous little thing I made in February 2003, on a day when we were snowed in with nothing much to do. (That much is clear.)

Schuyler doesn't remember Connecticut at all, which is sad to me. I miss those days, in part because it was in some ways a much more innocent time for us. In early 2003, we'd gotten past some hard times as a family and we still had that awful polymicrogyria diagnosis a few months ahead of us. Once we had the diagnosis and the monster was out in the middle of the room, it felt like everything had changed, and New England had lost some of its magic. I still wish it had worked out. I miss New Haven, a lot.

A few things stand out in this video. First of all, I was an idiot. But perhaps more important, I can see, to a degree that I guess I'd forgotten, that at the age of three years old, Schuyler was not verbalizing at all, not even a little. I've often pointed out that in the time that she's been using a speech device (which at the time of this video was still two years in her future), Schuyler's verbal speech has improved dramatically. But to actually see how far she's come is pretty striking now.

(I just noticed that the board with her velcro'd picture exchange symbols is visible in the background at one point. God, she hated that thing.)

As for Schuyler, when she saw it this morning, she started laughing and simply said, "Look, I was fat!"

12 comments:

Anon said...

Awesomely adorable! Yes, she's non-verbal, but absolutely engaged. That's what you'd remember: that she's always been Schuyler.

C said...

Okay, Rob. I think your family has officially hit your limit for a decade's worth of Cute.

(How did you and Julie not nibble those cheeks right off?)

Anonymous said...

You can tell from your face that you didn't know

Krissy said...

Freaking adorable. Love it!

Molly said...

She is soooo cute! What a little girl!

Nicki said...

What a cute little munchkin! She just looks so happy to be with you, and having so much fun! (And no, Schuyler, you weren't fat... just kinda roly-poly!)

Elizabeth said...

I'm always struck by her intelligent face, particularly her eyes. Not sure if this is because I've read your book and your blog and see her picture over and over, but I think it might really be because they just blaze with herselfness.

Kyla said...

Adorable!

I get that feeling, too, when I watch old videos of KayTar.

amylia said...

It was really sweet to watch you with her at so young an age and so little--I almost forget that she must've been that teeny, and the look in your eyes when you're with your baby girl is so heartwarming--brimming with love and admiration.

I think you've got your "Dad License" for life.

amylia said...

P.S. What IS it with dads and dorky hats? My dad has one just like that and isn't afraid to wear it--year round!

Christy said...

What strikes me in this video is Schuyler's intelligence. I love the way she investigates the snow on the trees and the way she spreads out her arms so expressively over the sandwich. Is she actually saying "Banana" ("Ah-a-ah") when she has the banana in her hand? At age three, what a smart, vibrant child.

Nightfall said...

CHUBBIN! ;-)