November 10, 2009

Flygirl Realized

On Halloween weekend, we had an amazing experience, one that we're unlikely to forget any time soon. Almost a week and a half later, we're all still talking about it.

And the book festival was fun, too.

A few weeks ago, when they saw that Schuyler had chosen her hero, Amelia Earhart, for her Halloween costume, Austin friends Jim and Pat Howard emailed me with an amazing offer for Schuyler's weekend in town for the Texas Book Festival, assuming we had time. When I read the offer, I knew immediately that we'd make the time.

I'm not sure how long I've known Jim and Pat, although I can remember Jim giving me a hard time about buying my previous car, the admittedly ridiculous Beelzebug, and that was over ten years ago. Jim and I couldn't be further apart in our politics, but we've never let that poison our friendship. As a result, I think that even when we disagree, we do actually hear each other occasionally. We finally met face to face a number of years ago, I believe when I returned to Texas from my Yankee exile, and Julie and I have counted the Howards as constant supporters of Schuyler and this family for as along as I can remember. I was delighted by their offer, but I can't say I was surprised.

So it was that on a beautiful, clear Sunday morning a week and a half ago, Julie and Schuyler and I found ourselves at the airport in Austin, walking out to see what was easily the most beautiful aircraft I have ever seen.


The jet is a Dassault Mystere Falcon 900, built in France and considered to be among the finest, if not the finest, civilian aircraft that a gigantic box of money can buy. (According to the Dassault website, there are only 160 of them in the world.)

The pilot of the Falcon is Kyle Kimmell, and from the first moment we met him, he impressed us with his kindness towards Schuyler, his patience with her and his appreciation of her enthusiasm. I can't even begin to express how generous it was for him and for the plane's owner to have prepped and made available for her to see it like this. The Falcon was sleek and perfect on the outside, and indescribably plush in the cabin, but Schuyler was only interested in the cockpit. Kyle explained what all the controls did, he didn't flinch when she grabbed the headset and put it on, and he even let her start up the engines. (I suspect she burned about a month of my salary's worth of fuel while we were sitting there.) He was more than patient. Kyle seemed genuinely happy to show this amazing aircraft to Schuyler, and he thanked us for bringing her more than once.

And really, getting to go on board the Falcon and sit in the cockpit and fire up the plane's systems, all of that would have been enough to make Schuyler's whole year.

But we were just getting started.






Jim is a member and past president of the Chandelle Flying Club in Austin, the group that owns the 1978 Piper PA-28 Warrior that he took us up in. Like her hero Amelia Earhart, Schuyler got to take to the air.

Owing to a lack of space and Julie's intense and unshakable desire not to leave the ground, the flight consisted of Jim and Schuyler in the front and me sitting behind them. Jim walked Schuyler through the pre-flight check and showed her exactly what he was doing, and then we were off.

Schuyler can be a squirrelly kid when she gets excited, and we were worried that she might get a little flighty, no pun intended. But throughout the whole experience, from the moment we climbed into the plane on, she was suddenly very focused, listening carefully to Jim's instructions and becoming very quiet when he needed to communicate with the control tower. She was a perfect little passenger as the plane took off and as Jim climbed to about 3000 feet.

And then she became a perfect little pilot.

I don't think she believed that she was actually flying the plane until Jim took his hands off the controls altogether. He showed her the basics of flight control and then, for the bulk of the rest of the flight (excluding the landing, of course), Schuyler piloted the plane. Jim would pick landmarks on the ground, such as smoke from a fire or the glint of the sun on a lake, and Schuyler would take us there, circling the target once we arrived. Jim emailed me afterwards to let me know that she had in fact been flying the plane for most of the flight. "I think she pretty much figured out how to control the roll axis," he wrote. "When I helped it was usually with the pitch axis. As is typical for new flyers she started with a death grip on the control yoke, but unlike some adults I've flown with I was able to persuade her to relax and hold the yoke more gently, which makes flying much easier."


It's a funny thing about Schuyler. She's got this disability, and it throws obstacles in her path every day. School is challenging for her and will only become more so. The social life of a preteen girl isn't going to be easy or gentle on her, either, particularly not in a town like Plano. Her future is harder than I let on sometimes, perhaps because I want her story to be nothing but successes, and I suppose sometimes I don't talk much about the bumps that she hits, or the ones still waiting in the future for her.

But Schuyler is tenacious, and while she loved flying and is still talking about it (and answering happily to "Flygirl"), I don't think it occurs to her that she's unusual for getting to go up in an airplane, to actually take control of an aircraft and fly it. For Schuyler, life seems to be a series of experiences, of new people to meet while she signs books with her face on the cover, to attend a book festival and listen as her story is discussed by a panel of published authors, to see herself or her father on television, or to take to the air. I've gotten a lot of things wrong with her over the years; I've blown it many times as her father. But by introducing her to a world with people like Jim and Pat Howard and Kyle Kimmell in it, and by trying my very best to accommodate unique opportunities for her, I like to think that sometimes I get it right, even if that just means getting out of her way. I'm forty-one years old and I've never flown an airplane. I like to think that Schuyler's life experiences will intensely outshine my own. In all the significant ways, they already have.

All of this is to say that I am immensely proud of Schuyler, more than I have words for.

Jim described Schuyler as "a real ball of fire, with the heart of a lioness". I felt bad for him in one moment, when he took the controls to show Schuyler exactly how steeply the plane could turn. I'm not sure what he thought he saw when he glanced over at her, but he seemed to think that perhaps he'd pushed it too far, that the daunting angle of the plane had frightened or bothered Schuyler. But midway through the second turn, I tapped her on the shoulder and asked her if she was having fun.

I think the photo I snapped when she looked back at me says it all:






Thanks to pilots Jim Howard and Kyle Kimmell.

43 comments:

MFA Mama said...

WOW! What an amazing opportunity for Schuyler, and how cool that she got to actually fly the plane! Thanks for sharing this story, I needed a reason to smile.

kris said...

Well, I'm crying. What a story. Schuyler never ceases to amaze me, not for one second.

anastasiav said...

What fantastic generosity. Three cheers to these guys for making her so happy.

Never forget that it is Schuyler's monster -- her difference -- that does as much to bring her these opportunities as it does to bring her hardship. I know you know that all life is balance; what parent would not wish for a more "typical" child if it mean that their daughter or son didn't need to face the challenges that Schuyler will face? But, in the balance, I have to think that she is so extraordinary both because of who she innately is and because of the experiences and biology that have shaped her life.

The more I read what you write about her, the more she reminds me of Stephen Hawking. (Stay with me here.) He has often said that he is happy with his "lot" because, in many ways, he was uniquely made for it. The things he wanted to do with his life, his disability does not preclude him doing. I would never go so far as to say that Schuyler will never rage against her fate, but she does seem to be well suited to both the challenges and the opportunities her situation presents her with.

I strongly suspect this is not the last time Schuyler will fly.

Megan said...

I'm crying too! Happy tears though. What a magical day!

Anonymous said...

It's your posting about Schuyler's interest in Earheart that led me to looking for picture books for my own niecelings on her (and, in a tangent, on other real people, as I realize that biographies? we don't have ANY of them!).

Sadly, the picture book field, when it comes to Amelia Earheart, is lacking. It's a lot of boring-looking books. (Although I did find several more interesting-looking books on Bessie Coleman, first African-American to have a pilot's license, and first American of any race or gender to have an international pilot's license, and she did it two years before Amelia too... which, as my nieces are black is a bit of a plus.) Not to be random, but you wouldn't happen to have any recommendations in that direction, would you?

(And also? Being able to go and fly a plane at that age? MASSIVELY AWESOMESAUCE.)

katya said...

That makes me happier than I could possibly imagine.

Barbara from Boston said...

I was the recipient of a flight lesson for Christmas a couple of years ago, and I understand Schuyler's glee. She is becoming an increasingly beautiful young woman. She is a rare gift; you and Julie are rich beyond measure. Live long and prosper.

Tobi said...

Wow. Just, wow.

Thanks for sharing this, Rob.

Niksmom said...

Holy cow! What an amazing gift the Kimmels gave Schuyler. And you, of course. The photos of her flying the plane, the look on her face...breathtaking.

Oh, and as you navigate the stormy seas of pre-teen social crap and worry about Schuyler? Just remind her that none of those catty girls can fly a plane. Heh heh.

june said...

the over-the-shoulder picture is great, I agree... but that look of concentrated pride when she is piloting is pretty sweet too. Amazing.

WriterGrrl said...

This is TOO funny -- my son w/SN also just piloted a plane thanks to a dear friend. My kid turned 6 on Oct. 31, and the next day, they went flying and saw the airshow here in Houston. And when my husband told me that our friend let our son FLY THE PLANE, I was SO GLAD I stayed home with the baby!

Erin said...

Oh Rob, that made me want to cry with happiness. How awesome! (And seriously? She's so fearless!)

k2 said...

She is amazing!

Todd Wright said...

Great post, Rob. Feel like I was right there with you guys!

L. said...

How wonderful, fabulous, totally awesome.

"But by introducing her to a world with people like Jim and Pat Howard and Kyle Kimmell in it, and by trying my very best to accommodate unique opportunities for her, I like to think that sometimes I get it right..." --I had much the same thought before I got to this part of the piece. You have worked hard to bring some amazing gifts to Schuyler. She's deserved them, and she has and will continue to work hard in her own way, but you also have my respect and admiration for all the life experience you've helped create for her.

Also, I think this is the same Jim I know from elsewhere. If so, I frothed over his commentary more than once :) Jim, just goes to show, politics is only part of the puzzle. You're a great guy. Thank you for giving Schuyler and her loved ones this gift.

Lily said...

Schuyler might like Taking Flight: My Story By Vicki Van Meter. I read it when I was around her age and loved it. Vicki Van Meter learned to fly at age 10, piloted a plane across the country at 11 and across the Atlantic at 13 (with an instructor as co-pilot). It's a great read. I remember her description of taking the controls for the first time, the feeling of power she felt, and it reminded me of what you write here about Schuyler at the wheel.

Um, okay, wow. I just now looked Vicki Van Meter up on wikipedia to see what ever became of her and, yikes. Very sad. But her book is still inspiring and funny, and definitely worth a read for adventurous kids who love to fly.

Anonymous said...

A future career?

BigRed said...

Annnnnnd crying. I love when good things happen to good people.

Fuck those bitches at school. They never flew a plane.

Suzanne said...

Yeah... must admit, I also teared up a bit. That is SO awesome. Go Schuyler!!

Sorry I missed you both at the Book Festival. I was back in town for a whole 3 days and had a wedding to go to that Saturday.

It looks like you (the collective you, with emphasis on Schuyler, in this case) had an amazing weekend. Kudos to Jim, Pat & Kyle for helping to make that happen.

When you bring up the upcoming social challenges of preteen and teen years, there's no denying that it's going to be rough sometimes. I just keep hoping that Schuyler's extraordinary spirit will carry her through those rough times.

Maybe, like flying (and probably most other things she's taken on), she can learn when to relax just a little and enjoy the flight. Maybe when you think she's been pushed too far, she'll turn and give you that magical smile and you'll know that somehow, she's navigating through with her grace, charm, and tenacity.

We can always hope, anyway. Like anastasiav said, I think she may be somehow suited for this more than most people. Of course, she's got parents that will fight the battle right along with her, too... even when there are times that you'll have to let her take the lead and fight behind the scenes.

We'll have to wait and see, but if her current personality is any indication, I think she'll soar above a lot of the insanity of those difficult years.

Elizabeth said...

I'm not sure why this has brought tears to my eyes, but it has. Joyous ones. Thank you sharing that joy.

Unknown said...

Wow, this is so cool.

Jim Howard said...

I was just as excited as Schuyler at getting to visit the Falcon. Kyle drove all the way from San Antonio just to show it to us!

Schuyler was a fine copilot, better than most adult first time flyers I've flown.

I've been flying since 1970, I have around 2200 hours total flying time.

I think this may have been the best flight I've ever flown.

Adrith said...

What a gift for Schuyler! I'll admit to being sniffly now, too.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I have tears in my eyes and a big smile on my face. I only know your amazing kiddo through your book and this blog but... I'm a mom. In my "mother's heart" I am so incredibly PROUD of Schuyler! Little girl you are so AWESOME! I have no doubt that this wont be the last time you rise above the clouds. I can't tell you how happy your recent adventure has made me. Thanks for sharing! :)

Unknown said...

Wonderful story. It made me tear up, too. A nice picture book about Amelia Earhart and Eleanora Roosevelt (probably a little young for Schuyler) is Amelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride.

Thanks for sharing this story and your life with us.

OM said...

She's a natural. She looks very composed and relaxed. Another monster slain.

The Meyer Family said...

That is an incredible, inspirational story, and I'm going to show it to my daughters to remind them that there is nothing they cannot do. (And I'll fantasize that they, too, might one day experience the thrill of flying an airplane!)

Disabled in New York City said...

Wonderful. Simply wonderful.

Unknown said...

that is so awesome

Rena said...

OMG, this made me cry. I am so happy for you guys. Lovely photos too.

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful story!

Thank God for the Jims and Pats and Kyles in this world. God Bless you for the generosity that allows kids like Schuyler to have amazing experiences like this!

Carol Askew said...

Fantastic! I'm so happy for Schuyler.

Addey said...

I really am glad to see another girl with Amelia Earhart as a hero. I first fell in love with her in Kindergarten, when I started at Earhart Elementary Complex, and I've remained fascinated by her story for just about 30 years now. I have yet to get to fly a plane, but it's still a dream. Hold on tight to those dreams girl, you will make them come true.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! So freaking cool!
You may feel like you've gotten it wrong a handful of times Rob, but from where I'm sitting you mostly knock it out of the park.

KimHewes said...

That is so the cover of the book you'll write on this next amazing chapter in her life.

What an experience for an amazing little girl!!!

Susan said...

Wow, what an amazing adventure! Glad she had the chance to do it.

Wendy Power said...

What a fantastic experience!

I just read that one of Amelia's scarves is going to the ISS with the shuttle launching on Monday.

Anonymous said...

The spunk that you instilled in her as a tiny little girl is one of the greatest gifts you could have nurtured. She's going to knock 'em dead in adulthood, you two just watch.

christopher said...

A dear friend bought me a first flying lesson this July. The trim tab wasn't set quite right and I was constantly pushing the nose down to stay level. I was nervous. I wanted to do well. Eventually, towards the end of the flight the trim tab was reset. I fancy myself something of a prepared student pilot, but the fact remains that I was a bit scared.

I'm tickled that Schuyler would pilot an aircraft many times more sophisticated than my Cessna and do so with style and joy.

carolinagirl79 said...

Hey Rob. Those pictures were mind blowing.

I'm reporting to you from the world of 6th grade preteen antics and I have some interesting bulletins.

....things have actually become kindler and gentler.

Yes, the girls still change BFF like they change socks, there's puberty induced door slamming, phone fights, and boyfriend snatching, but the kids don't make fun of "different" kids like they used to. Why? Because their teachers will severely punish them? Probably. Preteens are still wild animals, it's just that they did take some of those "we're all the same underneath" and are used to some mainstreaming.

So..as long as Schyler has a couple of pals to roll with, it might just be a whole lot cooler than you think.

Since she is breatakingly lovely and probably will sail through adolescence without losing those factors, you might be pleasantly surprised with how easy it is.

I hold my breath every day hoping that the good times continue to roll for me and mine and you and yours. I know that my kid is thoroughly enjoying 6th grade and I think I'd rather do a year in a minimum security prison rather than 6th grade again!!

Unknown said...

Rob-

What a great story! My own aviation hero is my mother, who began flying in her 50s and is now an instrument rated pilot. She's a member of this organization for female pilots, http://www.ninety-nines.org/ which might be a great way for Schuyler to continue learning/flying/having fun. They're big fans of Amelia, too.

Araby62 (a.k.a. Kathy) said...

Oh, boy. She's got the wind in her veins now. Look out world!

Araby62 (a.k.a. Kathy) said...

Oh, and if you or Schuyler haven't read this, here's a link:

http://www.melissafaygreene.com/pages/flygirl.html