September 4, 2009

2009 Texas Book Festival


Yesterday, former First Lady Laura Bush announced the author lineup for the 2009 Texas Book Festival, and lo and behold, I was on the list. I've actually known about this for a while, but was sworn to secrecy until yesterday's announcement. I wouldn't want to steal Mrs. Bush's thunder anyway. Her life can't be a picnic on the best of days.

(Because my narcissism is as vast as the sea, I actually spent yesterday evening looking for video of the announcement, just to see if she actually read my name off a list. I have Issues.)

Anyway, it's official now, and I'm happy as a clam (clams being notoriously jolly and well-adjusted mollusks). From the moment I found out that Schuyler's Monster was going to be published, I wanted to be a part of the Texas Book Festival. Back in my Austin days when I was employed at the big fancy Barnes & Noble Arboretum, I actually worked at one of the festivals, selling books. Coming back as an author feels like a real homecoming, and I'm thrilled that my book was selected this year.

(Congrats also to my friend, the very cool Gwen Zepeda, who will be presenting as both a children's author and novelist. Nobody likes a showoff.)

The schedule of events hasn't been released yet, and I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a secret, too. (I hope not, because here I go.) Apparently I am to appear on a panel with Rupert Isaacson, author of The Horse Boy: A Father's Quest to Heal His Son (about his efforts to reach his autistic son through equine therapy and Mongolian spiritualism) and Michael Greenberg, author of Hurry Down Sunshine: A Father's Story of Love and Madness (about his experience as a father with his teenage daughter's sudden manifestation of bipolar disorder). I've read Greenberg's book, which is really exceptional, and I'm working on the Isaacson now.

Both of their books have received a tremendous amount of critical acclaim and media attention, and I'm really honored and pleased to be able to join them as we talk about… whatever we talk about. As I said, the panel information is still being put together, but I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that we'll be discussing fatherhood and our relationships with the "different" child. Because otherwise, I might need to learn about horses in a hurry.

If you're in Austin at the end of October, I hope you'll attend. Schuyler will be there, and she's as jazzed as ever about her participation in all the book madness. Yesterday she was showing me a new book she'd gotten. She pointed to the cover of Judy Moody Gets Famous! and then pointed to herself.

"Like me!" she said.

Princess Protagonista. I've created a monster.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Say Hi to Gwen for me. Oh to be in Texas so I could go to both your book signings.

M.R.

Julia O'C said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

Zedric Liebowitz said...

I'm a little disappointed. I'd like to see you in a throwdown with Buzz Aldrin and Kinky Friedmann.

Karen Harrington said...

Terrific news and well-deserved!

Ellen said...

Congratulations!!!

OM said...

Congratulations.

Karen said...

More congratulations! I so wish I could be there. Rupert Isaacson is another of my favorite writers; now I'm going after the book by the other author you are appearing with. What a spectacular panel you will make.

Leightongirl said...

Yep, those pants are FANCY.

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations Rob! That is so well-deserved.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!

That must be a fantastic feeling.

And once again, Schuyler rocks. She is famous, you know.

R.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, Ooh! Maybe this time I can make it up to Austin from SA! Fancy, Fancy Pants! Congratulation!

Laura

Suzanne said...

Very cool! Congrats!

Which day is your panel? I should be in Austin, but I'm going to a wedding on the 31st. As far as I know, I'm free on the 1st, though.

Robert Hudson said...

Which day is your panel?

I'm not actually sure yet, they haven't released the schedule. Hopefully I'll know soon. Hope you can be there!

Suzanne said...

Well, I'll check back. Sounds like it should be interesting. I've heard about Rupert Isaacson's son, although I haven't read the book.

I think it'll also be neat to see how far Schuyler has come with Pinkessa. She'd *just* gotten it when I met you two at Book People and she had already figured out the basics. I'm sure she's a whiz at it now!

Anonymous said...

I dunno. "The Horse Boy" was a little too woo-woo New Age, honor the wise indigenous people for me to really enjoy and "Hurry Down Sunshine?" was another one of these hip dad living in the East Village and playing the didgeridoo while his kids smoke weed in the living room kind of books.

Elizabeth said...

I've just listened to The Horse Boy via audiobook -- the ONLY way, I think -- the author reads it, so every time he reads what his son said/did, he adds all the appropriate inflections -- you know when his son goes ballistic, THAT is what it sounded like. And as one who continues to the toilet-training struggle, I can really relate to the "Code Brown" battles... It's an incredible story, and listening to Rupert read with his Australian accent is NO hardship. I hope your meeting/shared panel is amazing.