October 7, 2008

My Fancy Pants Weekend

I'm getting ready for an event that honestly, I've been looking forward to for a long time. This weekend, I'll be at the Southern Festival of Books in Nashville, participating in a panel on Saturday at noon with Sigourney Cheek, author of Patient Siggy: Hope and Healing in Cyberspace. I've not met Ms. Cheek, and the panel hasn't been assigned a topic, at least as far as I know. (Hopefully it'll dodge the Plucky Little Soldier, Patch Adams thing.) As a result, I'm in the interesting position of preparing to talk about my book without knowing exactly what I'm going to say. To tell the truth, I sort of like it that way. I do some of my best thinking on the fly.

Between now and Saturday, I'm re-reading a book that should prepare me a little for this panel -- mine. I actually haven't read it in a while, so please, no spoilers.

I'm looking forward to this for a lot of reasons beyond free trip to Nashville. (Although, you know, free trip to Nashville!) I've been doing a lot of events, but most of them have been in the capacity of Schuyler's father, who by the way also wrote a book. I'm going to Nashville as an author first and foremost, and I have to say, that's nice. It's easy to forget that I wrote a book. I know that sounds weird, but it's true. Even now, while I'm reading it again, I have these moments of "Holy shit, did I really write all this?" I'm still a little surprised myself.

There are going to be some excellent authors at the festival, including Rick Bragg and Ann Patchett. I'm looking forward to being there with people whose pants are much fancier than my own, and to be able to look at them as something akin to a colleague. A slobbering colleague, perhaps, but I'll take that.

If you're in the area, I hope you'll come by and say hello. There are going to be something like 200 authors represented, all on the apparently fancy grounds of the War Memorial Legislative Plaza. (I don't expect to ever again be able to say "I will be speaking in the Senate Chambers" again in my life, so I'm trying to say it a lot this week.) Best of all, it's free to the public. It looks like a lot of fun.

Hopefully I'll see you there. You know, in the Senate Chambers. Where I'll be speaking. Did I mention that already? I did, okay.

9 comments:

Margie said...

We can't wait to have you here in Nashvegas!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to be coming up from Atlanta because you Fancy Pants authors apparently have something against our fair city. My Nashville friend tells me that this venue is very fancy pants, indeed.

Is Schuyler going to be there to sign my book? Or heck, is there going to be any signing going on at all, or is it a panel only?

Rachel Joiner said...

Hope to see you at the Southern Festival of Books. It should be a great time.

Anonymous said...

Dude, when I saw they were putting you in the Senate Chambers, I like to died. It is a gorgeous room. You and Ms. Cheek will have a complete blast.

You know you have to speak in the third person while you're in there, in honor of our retiring and astoundingly weird longtime lieutenant gub'nor, who always referred to himself as "The Speaker." As in, "The Speaker is always the Speaker." (direct quote)

Then you could crawl out a window and hide over in the State Archives for a while in honor of our little legislator who voted to ratify the 19th Amendment and then had to run for his life. Do it for Schuyler! We'll take pictures.

Looking forward to greeting you in a non-stalker-like fashion.

Anonymous said...

Rick Bragg is a delight--I hope you get a chance to talk with him. --Karyn

Anonymous said...

Rob,
I just wanted to say that I loved the book. I read it in a day, on two long flights getting me from Phoenix AZ to Manchester NH. I found your blog through EJ Shea and was glad to know she encouraged you so. Have a great time in your fancy pants in Nashville.
Annie
And thanks for your brave, brutal honesty in the book.

Anonymous said...

I loved your book. I even recommended it to the mother of one of my students. I have also suggessted that some of my fellow teachers read it. Schuyler is lucky to have to parents who are such fighters. Good luck and have fun this weekend.

misty said...

What really sucks is that I've been planning to come for month, and got stuck working that day till 7. :( You'll love the book festival, it's freaking fantastic. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Rob
Just a quick book recomendation from a long time reader but first time poster.
I was searching through some of my old books and found one called 'The Blabber Mouth' which I thought Schyler might like. It's about a girl who is born without a voice box and her life. Dont worry, it's not depressing! From what I remeber (I read it quite a few yeras ago!) it was a really funny book which I enjoyed and the main charachter seemed very Schuyler esque (she doesnt take any b/s!). I'm not sure how advanced Schuyler's reading is but I don't think the book was too complicated. Anyway you will obviously have a better understanding if its something Schuyler would read so it's by Morris Gleitzman and it's up on amazon.
Sorry if this was a complete waste of time and you already know about the book!