September 11, 2008

Prodigal Son Revisited

You know, there's been a lot of different press for Schuyler's Monster, from public radio to television to articles in newspapers like The Dallas Morning News and magazines like People and Wondertime and Good Housekeeping, and yet there's nothing quite like seeing your face in your old college newspaper:

The UT Arlington Shorthorn - Robert Rummel-Hudson to speak at library

I'm not sure why it's always such a big deal to me, just like I'm not sure why I'm so nervous about my address at the university tomorrow night. I suppose it's the juxtaposition between whatever success I've achieved with this book and in my life as Schuyler's father with whatever abysmal expectations I probably set when I was a student.

I mean, I'm not sure how many people read about me in People and said, "Hey, wow, I thought he'd be in jail by now, or maybe working the window at Taco Bell. Good for him..."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. You are genuine, and you make me laugh, too. Two great things. Thank you!

Elizabeth said...

I laughed out loud at this post. Just think, though, of how EASY your life might have been if you were only in charge of making tacos (or maybe I'm being presumptuous and working there would have been harder than raising a special needs child!)

Anonymous said...

TO ABOVE COMMENT

Raising kids (special needs or no special needs) is a much better journey than dealing with the rude "ADULT" customers that a taco maker encounters. YEP!