July 1, 2008

"A Good Read"

(I swear to God, I thought I mentioned this already. I believe it was in the Father's Day post that got scrapped when I wrote about Tim Russert instead. My brain is apparently turning into pudding. Welcome to thirty-ten. Now get off my lawn.)

A few weeks ago, Naomi Shulman, research chief at Wondertime Magazine, wrote a very nice recommendation for Schuyler's Monster titled "A Good Read". I was of course happy to get a good review; it sure beats the alternative of a bad one or even worse, none at all.

I was especially touched to get yet another positive mention in Wondertime because they've been so supportive and great about my book. They featured a lengthy excerpt back in their March issue, which is nice online but looked absolutely breathtaking in its print layout. I was also interviewed by Naomi for a follow-up interview on the website. Wondertime has been a good friend to me and my family from the very beginning.

It's especially nice to have this coming from Naomi, who was an exceptionally pleasant and professional interviewer and who has been following Schuyler's story since before her diagnosis. I keep discovering over and over again how deeply Schuyler has touched so many people, and how the connections she's made through her story circle back around to us again and again.

So thank you, Naomi. This means the world to me, and that's the truth.

5 comments:

Niksmom said...

In a stroke of irony, I happened across that very Wondertime magazine yesterday at the eye doc's! I'd already read it when you first posted about it, I've read your book (twice), and you'd think I would be jaded. Nope; re-reading that article packed the same visceral punch as it did the first time.

I'd say Naomi pegged it exactly right. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I read your excerpt in Wondertime's March issue and then couldn't wait to read your book. The story of your family has really stayed with me and I think about you and the very brave, very cool Miss Schuyler often. Thank you for having the strength to share your story. The three of you are so lucky to have each other- you are all remarkable and I am appreciative to Wondertime for supporting your work.
Thanks also for keeping a blog- I have you bookmarked and appreciate your updates.
Maggie
Cincinnati, OH

Anonymous said...

You're right about that Naomi -- the update is a great interview.

Then again, it's not as though you're a wallflower.

So I think we can safely say it was a joint success.

Unknown said...

you know, I think you did mention this before because I remember reading it...or maybe I am just phycho/ic

Claire said...

Has Schuyler met any grown-ups or cool big girls to use a device to talk?