October 28, 2007

Insufficient words

As I'm writing this, Schuyler is sitting in the seat next to me on the flight from New York back to smelly old Texas. A few hours ago, we left the home of my agent who, after being charmed by Schuyler and hearing about our interesting lodgings in a part of Brooklyn apparently untouched by the hipster invasion, invited us to stay with her. It was a beautiful home at the top of a charming building in a perfect little neighborhood, and we were made to feel like family. Schuyler loved my agent and her husband, and if we've ever had a better time than we had on this trip, I can't remember when.

There are all the actual events to report on, of course. Schuyler loved the American Museum of Natural History, as we figured she would. She abducted my agent's assistant to be her personal plaything while we explored the museum. Schuyler also managed to lose her mind in FAO Schwarz for a good three hours before picking out a toy that she saw during her first five minutes in the store. The friends of mine that she met on this trip were instantly her own best friends, and while she became a little wild and overstimulated by the city now and again, she nevertheless remained cheerful and wickedly charming. I've never been prouder of her, and that's saying a lot.

Our meeting with St. Martin's Press went very well, as I figured it would. Schuyler charmed everyone at what ended up being a very well-attended meeting, including an appearance by the publisher herself, who shook Schuyler's little hand like she would any professional author's and expressed her own personal interest in and excitement for the book. Those of you who have asked about a book tour may be disappointed to learn that there are not presently plans for an actual tour, but there are other possibilities afoot that might land me in your town at some point. Besides (and this is probably shameless even for me), publishers are known to quickly put together a tour if a book has strong early sales and good word of mouth. So, you know, I'm just saying.

I also got to see an actual bound galley of my book. Which was, to be totally uncool, very cool.

Another thing that I think I can mention now (and enough people at SMP admitted to reading the blog that I assume I'll get a quick, frantic email from someone if I'm not supposed to say anything yet) is that in February or March, it looks like Schuyler's Monster will be featured in Wondertime, a fun and really well-written, hipster-y parenting magazine that I've liked for a while. (The first four issues they put out a few years ago included a series of articles about a little boy with a similar speech disorder as Schuyler's, and it was well-done enough to catch and keep my attention.) Wondertime is published by Disney, so it should be easy enough to find. I'm in league with The Mouse now. I assume they won't pick a part where I sound like a vulgar yokel. Good luck with that, Wondertime.

I had some fancy pants author moments, but mostly, I was a dad on this trip. More than that, I think Schuyler and I became better friends this week, sharing experiences that required few words. After our meeting at St. Martin's, I took her for a walk towards the Empire State Building, site of her hero's last stand against pesky bi-planes. About half a block away, I told her to close her eyes. I led her to the corner, got my camera in place, and then told her to open her eyes and look up. I thought I'd get a photo of her look of amazement. Instead, I captured a moment of pure, unbridled joy, a full-throated howl of recognition and challenge, as if she were ready to take up the battle herself. She did the same thing the first time she saw King Kong, when he leapt out of the jungle to save his girl from the dinosaurs. It is easily my favorite photo of the trip. It might be my favorite ever.

I watched Schuyler as she took in the city, observing as she attempted to make friends with other riders on the subway (with admittedly mixed results) and as she yearned to help a man passed out in the street, sadly telling me about him for the next three blocks. She told me all about what she was seeing, things that amazed her such as looking down on buildings with gardens on their roofs. During the many uninterrupted hours we shared, she asked me questions about my own father that she'd never asked before, and listened earnestly as I tried to explain what it means when someone dies. We became closer than ever, closer than I thought possible, in ways that the parents of neurotypical kids might take for granted but which felt like gifts to me.

I saw the city through Schuyler's eyes and was never bored, and if I thought this trip was going to be about what Schuyler got out of it, about what she stood to learn from the experience, I was as wrong as I've ever been in my life.

I'm trying to explain what this trip meant to me, and to Schuyler, but I'm failing miserably. And perhaps that's okay. The best parts, the ones I can't explain very well, they belong to us anyway.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

That picture is awesome. Awesome.

I'm so glad to hear the trip went so well.

"if I thought this trip was going to be about what Schuyler got out of it, about what she stood to learn from the experience, I was as wrong as I've ever been in my life."
I only "know" you two through what you write here and I saw that coming a mile away :) Kids...especially ones as cool as Schuyler....are life's best teachers.

Shannon said...

I think you've set her up to be a traveler.

Congrats on a great trip. I love NYC.

And it sounded like a memorable bonding experience. That's pretty rare for a father and daughter.

Anonymous said...

As I read this, all I could do was smile a big, broad, happy smile for you and Schuyler.

stacee said...

Lovely writing, as always, capturing so many great moments. You and Schuyler deserved such a fantastic trip!

The Wondertime thing is a great gig! We get that magazine in the mail, so I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled. Congratulations!

Omar said...

That's a great photo, but then when you get down to the part in the entry that explains its significance, it becomes a masterpiece.

So glad you had fun in New York. It does not surprise me at all that you two charmed the pants off the city.

rennratt said...

You explained everything perfectly.

There is no better feeling than seeing life through the eyes of others.

Especially when we learn something in the process.

I'm so glad that you had such a wonderful experience. BOTH of you.

Anonymous said...

I totally get how exciting that must have been - for both of you.

Travelling with kids offers up a much more interesting perspective of the ordinary.

Danielle said...

Sometimes, when we don't even know how we can compile the words to do the experience justice..when there really aren't letters and sounds to express the emotions..sometimes then is our best writing. This was a fantastic description, and you not knowing that is truly the reason I read you.

Bev Sykes said...

We are so incredibly fortunate that you share so much of Schuyler with us. This was a beautiful report.

Major Bedhead said...

This was great. Seeing a city thru a kid's eyes is always fascinating, but you've really captured it.

I can't wait for the book to come out.

Sandi said...

The best things are the ones that are hard to describe. I think it's our way of keeping them for ourselves. I think that's the way it's supposed to be.

Deborah said...

It's my first time to the site. You really are a talented writer (she said, wiping away tears.) I'm looking forward to the books release.

Ceedy said...

"I'm trying to explain what this trip meant to me, and to Schuyler, but I'm failing miserably. And perhaps that's okay. The best parts, the ones I can't explain very well, they belong to us anyway."

The best parts don't require an explanation. They just are.

Your family is on an incredible journey and we, the readers, are the fortunate ones here to have you share the story with us.

Niksmom said...

"I'm trying to explain what this trip meant to me, and to Schuyler, but I'm failing miserably." Uh, no, Rob, you're NOT. I got all choked up reading this. And that picture of Schuyler seeing the ESB? Breathtaking!

What a special, special trip. One you both will treasure always.

kris said...

Rob, in words and photos, you have done a stunning job of capturing the significance of this trip--for you, for your girl and for the relationship you share. Unsurprisingly, it seems that Schuyler captured Manhattan as much as Manhattan captured Schuyler. She'll remember this trip forever, Rob. If you need any more proof of that, go back to those moments where Schuyler asked about you and your life. She's caught on very early that you are a person outside of "dad" and that you had a life, a story and a journey before she got here. What a gift to share that with her.

And that photo really is the greatest thing ever. What I wouldn't give to have been standing on that streetcorner for that moment.

Amnesia said...

I don't typically comment here, however I have thought about this post all day - and it was so well written, so eloquent - that I cannot get it out of my head.


The best part about this trip - about all of your time with Schuyler is that you realize how lucky you are to have it - how blessed you are to have such an amazing daughter. I like that about you.

Jeanine said...

So glad you all had a wonderful trip. As a small-town kid, I frequently react the same way to skyscrapers. I hope Schuyler find things that make her shriek with delight for the whole long rest of her life.

BTW, I'm sure your Fancy Pants have already let you know about this (you DO listen to your pants, don't you...?) but the Texas Book Festival is this weekend in Austin. Short trip, nifty city...can you book a gig there on short notice?

Anonymous said...

That photo of Schuyler is amazing, absolutely alive and real. Good job, no great job!

Kathy of the HavinsNest said...

The picture said it all. You are raising a traveler.

Rob, she is beautiful. I can't believe how grown up she has begun to look.

Kari said...

It sounds like you both had a GREAT time. I absolutely love the picture. Amazing!

Father/Daughter bonding moments are the BEST!

Love the countdown on your sidebar. I'm looking forward to the booka nd can't wait!

Bernard said...

Mercy Rob

That's an amazing picture. Coupled with your writing I can't but tear up. You manipulative guy, you!

It sounds like a trip that Schuyler will remember for a long time. Thanks so much for telling us about it.

I can't wait for the book to arrive on my doorstep.

Mary said...

You're not failing miserably. I've been reading you for a long time, and your writing is getting better and better. I'd say you succeeded wonderfully in showing us how wonderful your trip was. Thank you for sharing with us.

Anonymous said...

I agree that picture is awesome, captured the amazement perfectly, glad you had a great trip.

I do have to order me a book too.

Happy Mama to Three said...

Wonderful shot. Apparently there was a Director who thought so too a long time ago. You could not have staged a better shot if you had told Schuyler exactly what to do. Schuyler was a little more excited than Fay Wray but close

C

http://tinyurl.com/2wcc78
http://tinyurl.com/38g8u8