May 8, 2007

Monster Gallery


Schuyler had a pretty good day.

She woke up in a good mood and insisted on taking photos of her bus when it pulled up. She took pictures of me, too, as I took pictures of her, and the ridiculousness of it made her laugh. When she climbed aboard the bus, she waved excitedly and blew her kisses to me, unaware of the tiny piece of me that died like it does every time her bus pulls away.

We met with two of her teachers today, the miracle worker who runs her box class and the mainstream first grade teacher who loves our daughter even though I think she's a little frightened by Schuyler's independent streak. She told us today, in the midst of reporting Schuyler's progress, that occasionally "she talks too much in class". Julie actually laughed out loud.

The general feeling of her teachers seemed to be that Schuyler is doing very well in some areas, lags behind in some others (she apparently has inherited a gene from me, the one that both hates and fears math), and can either reach for academic greatness or pull amusing but ultimately useless stunts, depending entirely on her mood.

(These include correctly writing, in her careful, jagged handwriting, the numbers up to 29 before getting off track for a few lines and then simply drawing little squiggles in every box, right up to the last one, where she wrote "100". Or the science question, in which she answered the question "What is the natural resource that covers over 70% of the earth's surface and is required by all living things?", not with the obvious junk science answer, "water", but rather that more controversial scientific theory, "ballet class".)

For the most part, however, she appears to balance that occasional lapse with genuine, true school-nerd enthusiasm. She raises her hand in class, whether or not she knows the answer or has even heard the question yet. Sure, I suppose she could simply be turning into a little kissass, but I think the truth is that she's happy to have a voice of sorts and is desperate to participate in the world around her. She's become excited about her Big Box of Words again, thanks to her ongoing transition to the higher level, and she's starting to show her classmates how to use it on the 84-key setting. Her teachers say she's doing well in school, despite her monster, and she'll be moving on to second grade next fall.

I worry about Schuyler, about the uphill struggle she faces in trying to keep up with the rest of the kids in spite of the huge disadvantage that she has with the BBoW. And let's be clear; it is a remarkable tool for her, it has given her a way to communicate that has changed her life and unlocked a lot of doors for her, but it is also a maddeningly slow way to speak, and that is going to make it very hard for her to function in class. There are time benchmarks that she is supposed to be able to meet according to state guidelines, and they don't lend themselves to augmentative communication. But there are adults who do it, and Schuyler will, too.

I also worry about her social development, particularly how she'll be accepted by her peers. But school seems to be a haven for her in that regard; the neurotypical kids love her and argue over who is going to help her in class. She may still be the equivalent to E.T. to most of them, but we'll take it for now. Perhaps my expectations about mean kids will be proven wrong; they have been so far, I must admit. Grown-ups are often another story, but she doesn't appear to care too much for adult acceptance. We're the dinosaurs. Mean, old and doomed to extinction.

We saw her briefly when we went to the classroom to get some paperwork taken care of, and she was neither embarrassed nor clingy. She said her loud hellos, gave her big, Sumo-style hugs and then went back to her social circle, bragging about how her dad (the Hero of Inappropriate Movie Choices) took her to see Spider-man over the weekend.

When she got out of school, we gave Schuyler a surprise, a hand-crafted little monster that was made for her by an artistic reader. She loved it, playing with it and talking to it all the way home. She kept asking us for its name, and Julie suggested "Paisley", for obvious reasons. Schuyler liked that name, so Monster Paisley was born.

When we got home, I wanted to take a photo of it to put on the book site, and Schuyler eagerly helped. I had her gather the monsters that she'd been given as gifts over the past year or two, and as I took their photo, she kept bringing in even more monsters (along with Jasper, who gets to do whatever he wants, thanks to his role as Unofficial Big Brother).

Schuyler wanted a monster family portrait.

I've taken a lot of portraits, but this one was my favorite so far.

So it goes.

14 comments:

kris said...

Ya know, just when I think I can't love a pretty first grade ninja any more, you tell a story like this. You seem to capture her in a light that isn't "listen to how great MY kid is," but "listen to how great THIS kid is." It's a true gift--you have every right to brag and beam with pride...but you manage to capture Schuyler in a way that doesn't shine the light ON her, the light comes from inside her.

OK, not sure that even makes sense...and it's certainly more sappy than I intended. Oh well.

Awesome portrait.

Anonymous said...

Is Schuyler left or right handed? Does she use a different hand to write with vs. what she uses with the BBoW? Just curious.

Love the moster family portrait - too cute!

Robert Hudson said...

She switches off on different tasks, but she's writing with her right hand mostly.

Anonymous said...

I've found that children are nicer to my daughter than adults, but most people are very kind. There have only been a handful over the past fifteen years that have been rude.

I just finished reading a very good book called Mindset by Carol Dweck that talks about two different mindsets. One believes that traits are fixed at birth and the other believes that growth is always possible. Sounds like your daughter has the growth mindset. Anything is possible for her.

How do you know I'm not Liddy Wales? said...

Ballet class! Bwahhahaha!

Kate said...

"Occasionally talks too much in class" has to be the most awesome criticism (in this particular case) ever.

Anonymous said...

She doesn't have accommodations for the time benchmarks on state-mandated tests?

K8inHawaii said...

Have you ever seen these?
http://www.cottonmonster.com/
They are some rockin' monsters and I thought of Schuyler when I saw them.

Julie Pippert said...

Fantastic photo. I'd have laughed out loud about that criticism like Julie did.

In fact, wow, thank goodness, Kris said what I am thinking but couldn't put into words, "you manage to capture Schuyler in a way that doesn't shine the light ON her, the light comes from inside her."

Paisley Monster. I like it.

I used to know a few back in the 80s.

Anonymous said...

Just a thought, and I may be way behind the times, BUT...If the BBOW is cumbersome and she's learning to spell, could using something like a cell phone with predictive text be possible in her future?
I know this didn't come out the way I wanted, but I hope you get the gist!
LikeALurker

Trixie said...

There is so much content here worthy of remark. I don't know where to start...

1. All first grade girls in my life believe that "ballet class" is the element covering 70% of the earth and required for life. This is a norm for first grade girls. Think ponies, dolphins, rainbows. It's a female thing. The teacher probably had a good "age appropriate" laugh over this answer!

2. The numbers? Sounds like she thought the exercise was dull. She started it. Got bored. Finished it. It's like doing all those steps in a math problem. Who needs to "show their work" as long as the answer is correct?

3. The math phobia gene is in our family too. Lord only knows how I will handle it when finally asked to help with a WORD PROBLEM. I am breaking out in a cold sweat will typing!

4. It's interesting to see what kids tease about and what they don't. Children have their own social boundaries and enforce them. I taught middle school which is known for bullies. Most of the cruelty I witnessed was related to gossip/jealousy about relationships (jealous over same sex friendships or boy-girlfriends), rapid physical changes/not being comfortable with physical changes, and increasing competitiveness. At this age I didn't see as much cruelty about mental/physical challenges (and we had several noticeable ones in my classes over the years)nor did I see much in this income bracket regarding personal possessions. This of course is years down the road (middle school) and varies by school.

5. Love the monster family photo! Love that she had such a great idea. She is a most amazing person.

Anonymous said...

I teach kids with autism, and have always worried about their relationships with their neurotypical peers. While all my students can speak, they often don't speak frequently and are definitely the "oddballs" in the classroom. What I've seen is that kids that have gone through elementary school with my students are unfailingly accepting, outgoing, friendly and accommodating. The only time I've ever had a problem has been with kids that are new to our school, and those issues have been resolve quickly. It sounds like Schuyler's experience will be similar.

Superior Mom said...

Sounds like one of her "You talk too much shirts" should be altered to read (and now, so do I!)

Anonymous said...

Or the science question, in which she answered the question "What is the natural resource that covers over 70% of the earth's surface and is required by all living things?", not with the obvious junk science answer, "water", but rather that more controversial scientific theory, "ballet class".)

That was MILK, Rob. Right through my NOSE. How dare you raise a kid as smartassedly funny as you?

*chortles*