February 25, 2006

The Lost Toofer


The Lost Toofer
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
Schuyler lost a tooth today. It's the second one to go in just a few weeks.

And that other one in the front, the one that makes her look like a bottle opener? It's coming out any day now. It's currently flapping in the breeze like a loose shingle.

Julie and I have a differing philosophy about the losing of teeth. She's of the "pull it" school; the one that came out today had help from her. The thought of pulling a tooth makes me queasy; I'd just as soon she loose it while she's eating. I suppose there's a theoretical choking hazard, but honestly, they are tiny little teeth.

We'll see how this next one makes its escape. She's going to look like a happy little doofus soon. A toothless doofus, like her old man.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

This may sound corny, but when my kids would lose their teeth when they were little, the tooth fairy left a dollar with a little glitter on it. Then a couple years ago we moved to Germany, so the tooth fairy trafficked in euro coins for a while. Now my kids are older, so we have exchanges like this: "Hey, Mom, I lost a tooth." "Great. Toss it in the trash and grab a dollar out of my purse."

My son is going to the dentist next week to have his last 2 teeth removed so that we can get him wired with braces. What do you want to bet he tries to negotiate for higher market value on these teeth, given that it's the end of the tooth fairy gravy train for him?

Congratulations to Schuyler on her new snaggle. (That's what we called the spot that's missing a tooth.)

jas said...

Be a little careful, Rob. I'm less worried about her choking than just swallowing it in her sleep, like I did once. There's little more traumatic than losing a tooth and not being there to experience it. And worse still, if you're doing the Tooth Fairy "under the pillow" routine, it's just another layer of trauma.

Anonymous said...

When my youngest lost his second front tooth I grabbed up the phone and made an appointment at a portrait studio. The photographer thought I was a little nuts, but it's such a fleeting moment, gotta catch it. Son's straddling a tree limb, beaming down with this huge gappy grin. Love it!